GE - Prakash to make GM visit to UK

Below are details of a talk  organised by the Institute of Economic Affairs
to be given by Professor C Prakash in London on 1 June (presumably as part
of a UK tour).

Professor Prakash is one of the leading 'pro-biotech' activists from
academia in the US.  The invitation to the talk draws attention to a
petition he has organised in favour of 'biotechnology' which has been signed
by a large number of scientists.

Although not mentioned here the petition itself in fact comprises a
statement which includes a number of serious scientific misrepresentations,
particularly claims that genetic modification is not new and that it does
not pose any new risks compared to  'more traditional methods'. This is
simply untrue as anyone who has read the scientific literature knows.

It is interesting therefore that so many scientists have been prepared to
subscribe to such an unscientific statement.  It seems likely many must have
come under considerable peer pressure from within the biotech sector to do
this against their better judgement.

The petition can be viewed at
<http://www.agbioworld.org/petition.phtml>http://www.agbioworld.org/petition
.phtml .

It appears that only Professor Prakash will be speaking at the IEA event.

"We should be on our guard not to overestimate science and scientific
methods when it is a question of human problems; and we should not assume
that experts are the only ones who have a right to express themselves on
questions affecting the organization of society." (Albert Einstein May 1949)

NATURAL LAW PARTY WESSEX
nlpwessex@bigfoot.com
<http://www.btinternet.com/~nlpwessex>www.btinternet.com/~nlpwessex
=====

The Institute of Economic Affairs
invites you to attend:

An Occasional Lecture:

Frankenfood and Monarch Butterflies:

Addressing Public Concerns about Genetically Modified Crops

Speaker: Professor C Prakash
Tuskegee University, Alabama, USA

on:     Thursday 1 June 2000
from:    6:30pm (reception at 7:30pm)
at:      2 Lord North Street, London SW1

Originally from India, Channapatna Prakash currently holds a professorship
at Tuskegee
University in Alabama. He obtained his Ph.D in genetics from the Australian
National
University in Canberra and more recently has been actively involved in GM
technology.

Professor Prakash runs an Internet list serv called agbioview, as well as a
web site called
agbioworld. His petition in favour of biotechnology has been signed by over
2,000
scientists from around the world including two Nobel Laureates, Professor
James Watson
(co-discoverer of DNA), and Professor Norman Borlaug (father of the green
revolution).

RSVP (ACCEPTANCES ONLY) TO IEA RECEPTION EITHER BY
E-MAIL TO: events@iea.org.uk OR BY FAX (020 7799 2137)
OR PHONE (020 7799 8900).

iea

The Institute of