GE -biosafety

1 EDM x 3 to Meacher on Biosafety talks
2US opposes prior notice for GM crop shipments
3US Keen To Limit GMO Safety Rules To
4International GM Safety Rules in Danger No EU Sell-Out say Greens/EFA
5No reason for confidence in biotech industry
6Participants at loggerheads-
7Canada pushes GM foods: Sales pitch
8U.S., EU to hold fast on biotech agendas
9U.N. Biosafety Protocol talks begin in ......
10Protesters Target Canada House In London
11 U.S. opposes effort to expand biosafety pact

1
HOUSE OF COMMONS
Julia Drown (Lab - South Swindon):
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the
Regions, if it is his policy to support the adoption of a biosafety
protocol making companies that produce genetically-modified organisms
legally liable for any future damage to the environment or public health
resulting from the import of those GMOs by another country. [104584]
Mr Meacher:
In the negotiations on the Biosafety Protocol to the Convention on
Biological Diversity resuming in Montreal later this month, we will
continue to support an enabling provision that would adopt a process
elaborating international rules and procedures in the field of liability
and redress for damage resulting from transboundary movements of living
(genetically) modified organisms, and endeavour to complete the process
within four years.
Monday 17 January 2000 for Wednesday 12 January 2000 (No 31)
Department of thc Environment, Transport and the Regions
104584/99/00 (8c)
-------------------------
Julia Drown (Lab - South Swindon) :
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the
Regions, if it is his policy to support the adoption of a biosafety
protocol requiring the separation of genetically-modified grain from other
grain. [104585]
Mr Meacher:
The draft text of the Biosafety Protocol to the Convention on Biological
Diversity does not require separation. However, EU Ministers have agreed
that information exchange and documentation requirements are needed under
the Protocol and should ensure satisfactory transparency and monitoring of
movements of LMOs as well as their identification, which would also enable
traceability.
Monday 17 January 2000 for
Wednesday 12 January 2000 (No 32)
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
104585/99/00 (8c)
----------------------------
Julia Drown (Lab - South Swindon):
To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the
Regions, if it is his policy to support the adoption of a biosafety
protocol allowing governments to prohibit imports of genetically-modified
organisms. [104586]
Mr Meacher:
Yes. The Biosafety Protocol to the Convention on Biological Diversity
would establish Advanced Informed Agreement (AIA) procedures, whereby a
Party of import could accept or refuse imports of certain living
(genetically) modified organisms (LMOs) on the basis of the impacts on
biodiversity.
Monday 17 January 2000 for
Wednesday 12 January 2000 (NÝ 30)
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
104586/99/00 (8c)
===================
2 US opposes prior notice for GM crop shipments
WASHINGTON,
> [...]

> genetically-modified crops, says GMOs pose no health risk
> and remains at loggerheads with the E.U. over the Biosafety
> Protocol. The protocol seeks to provide a risk assessment
> structure for the cross-border movements of GMOs. It would
> allow an importer, or nation, the right to demand that the
> potential risk, and environmental impact, of a GMO be
> assessed before allowing it into the country concerned.
>
> Protocol Agreement An "Absolute Priority" E.U. Environment
> Commissioner Margot Wallstrom said Monday that agreeing on
> the protocol "was an absolute priority," though she
> acknowledged that negotiations would be "extremely
> difficult."
>
> Wallstrom said the protocol aims to enable developing
> countries, who often lack adequate legislation, to take
> well-founded decisions on importing GMOs. "Importing
> countries want to know the effect of GMOs on their
> biodiversity," she said. Wallstrom said that the E.U.
>
> proposes basing the protocol on the precautionary
> principle - already the source of much disagreement with
> the U.S. - and that it "wouldn't create any barriers to
> free trade."
>
> The precautionary principle, contained in the World Trade
> Organization's Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreement, states
> that countries can block products based on health and
> environmental concerns. However, scientific studies are
> needed to justify any ban. Wallstrom insisted that the
> protocol shouldn't be subordinate to WTO trade rules, in
> opposition to the U.S. position. Siddiqui said that the
> protocol must not interfere with the U.S.'s "trade
> obligations under the WTO, or under bilateral agreements."
>
> The previous attempt to finalize the protocol in
> Cartagena, Columbia, in February 1999 ended without
> agreement. Negotiations to establish the protocol, which
> would be the first under the Convention On Biological
> Diversity, began in 1995 in Jakarta. Siddiqui welcomed the
> proposed creation of a European food safety agency, stating
> that "it was a start." He added, though, that a regulatory
> body on food safety issues "really needs regulatory powers."
> E.U. Health and Consumer Protection Commissioner David
> Byrne has stressed that the new body won't have any
> regulatory powers. Siddiqui said he's looking forward to a
> resolution of the GMO issue this year, adding "it didn't
> serve to disrupt trade." He said the U.S. had been losing
> $200 million annually because of the E.U. moratorium on
> GMOs - which precluded the exporting of U.S.
>
> genetically-modified corn to the E.U. Siddiqui said the
> moratorium on U.S. grain shipments to Spain and Portugal,
> because of their GM status, would be "a priority" for the
> U.S. to resolve. The U.S. has an agreement with Iberia to
> import grain shipments at a lower duty than the E.U. norm -
> a condition granted by the Commission because of Iberia's
> previous trade agreements with the U.S. -By Eric R. Drosin;
4
Montreal/Brussels 26 January 2000

International GM Safety Rules in Danger
No EU Sell-Out say Greens/EFA

The resumed negotiations in Montreal to set international rules for
transboundary movement of genetically modified organisms are reaching breaking
point. Talks on the proposed Biosafety Protocol failed in Cartagena, Columbia,
in February 1999 when the US-led Miami Group of grain exporting nations vetoed
a deal even though the EU had given in to nearly all of their demands. Now it
looks like an action replay, with the same issues causing deadlock.
"This time the EU cannot give way" said Paul Lannoye (Belgium), President of
the Greens/EFA Group. "The US and its allies still want to make this Treaty
subordinate to the WTO Agreements. After Seattle, it is inconceivable that the
EU will be able to give in on this issue, which would be directly contrary to
the mandate given to the Commission by the Council of Ministers. This has
to be
a meaningful Protocol based on the precautionary principle for the protection
of biodiversity and the environment. It cannot be turned into a Biotrade
charter."
Green MEP Alexander de Roo (Netherlands), Vice-President of the Environment
Committee, said that EU's Environment Ministers and the Commissioner, Margot
Wallstrom, who will arrive in Montreal today must ensure that the EU supports
the demands of the less developed countries. "The EU already has a set of GM
safety rules - it is the developing countries which need this Protocol. They
are home to much of the world's biodiversity and we need to support their
demands that all living modified organisms (LMOs), whether for cultivation or
for use in food or animal feed, are within the scope of this treaty."
"There cannot be a trade-off between trade and the environment" said Green MEP
Hiltrud Breyer (Germany). "Multilateral Environment Agreements (MEAs) such as
this Protocol must take precedence as being the primary instruments in their
regulatory field. Environmental risk assessments must be underpinned fully
by a
clear statement of the precautionary principle and signatory countries must be
required to give their active consent before imports of any LMOs can take
place."
Press Service of the Greens/EFA Group
in the European Parliament
Helmut Weixler (press officer)
phone: 0032-2-284.4683
fax: 0032-2-284.4944
mobile phone: 0032-75-67 13 40
e-mail: hweixler@europarl.eu.int
website: <http://www.europarl.eu.int/greens>www.europarl.eu.int/greens
5
> The Gazette (Montreal) January 21, 2000, Friday, FINAL
> SECTION: Editorial / Op-ed; B2 LENGTH: 314 words HEADLINE:
> No reason for confidence in biotech industry BODY: Gregory
> Conko (Comment, Jan. 17) argues that Western environmental
> activists are delaying access to biotechnology crops in
> underdeveloped nations. It is almost laughable that he
> cites Africa as one of the potential losers, given that for
> the last three years the African countries have led a
> worldwide fight to establish controls on genetic
> engineering. Mr. Conko says we should be confident that the
> biotechnology industry, which stands to make millions, is
> only looking out for everyone's best interests. While he
> patronizingly suggests opposition to bio-technology is the
> result of propaganda disseminated by a few non-profit
> groups, he claims it is the activists who believe
> underdeveloped countries are ''lacking the capacity to tell
> good from evil.'' Today, more than 170 countries support
> the passage of a strong protocol that will allow them to
> make their own decisions about importing genetically
> altered food. Without such a biodiversity protocol, the
> World Trade Organization can force them to accept these
> goods under international trade agreements. The Convention
> on Biodiversity meeting in Montreal, which Mr. Conko
> mentions and which informally opened yesterday, may be the
> last chance to pass a strong biodiversity protocol. Canada
> is one of only five countries blocking such an agreement.
>
> The United States also strongly opposes controls on the
> biotechnology industry, but since it cannot vote at this
> convention it must depend on Canada to uphold its views.
>
> Perhaps if the biotechnology industry were willing to
> accept liability for any adverse effects to humans and the
> environment, so-called fear-mongering would have less
> effect. As it stands, countries want the choice of
> accepting or refusing genetically altered goods. If these
> products are so sought after, why does the industry feel so
> threatened by such requests? F.G. Hamer Verdun
====================
6
BANGKOK
> [...]
> misnomer which would widen the gap between the rich and
> poor. Sriratana Ratthapana, of the Commerce Ministry, said
> the forum would give Thailand greater bargaining power and
> access to the international market. "We are shocked to hear
> about attempts to pull out the agricultural sector from
> international trade agreements," she said. "We must be
> aware that up to 80% of our GDP is tied with international
> trade, and farm goods play a very significant role.
>
> "However, our exports face trade barriers, and
> participation in the regulation-drafting process will give
> us the opportunity to negotiate and expand our foreign
> market."Supa Yaimuang, of the Alternative Agricultural
> Network, said free trade would not necessarily lead to fair
> distribution. "The benefits will hardly reach poor farmers,
> but local business giants and multinationals."Pasuk
> Pongpaichit, a Chulalongkorn University economist, said the
> government should provide information on the pros and cons
> of free trade in terms of the farm sector. "The government
> should make clear who will benefit and who will lose and
> whether it has plans to deal with the negative social
> impact," she said. Genetically modified organisms was
> raised as an issue of concern. Vitoon Lianchamroon of
> BioThai said the government promoted local wisdom and public
> participation to help the country deal with GM businesses.
>
> Local activists agreed free trade did not benefit the
> workers because investors must keep wages low to maximise
> profits. They also wanted the introduction of safeguards,
> such as insurance funds, to prevent foreign investors from
> closing down without compensating their employees. Some
> representatives challenged the stand being taken by
> developed countries on labour standards. Khemporn
> Wirulrapan, of the Children's Development Foundation, said
> some countries had seized on child labour for protectionist
> purposes. "If developed countries are sincere in helping
> child workers, they must ensure the children benefit
> directly from their measures," she said. Boycotts that did
> not provide for alternative work would expose children to
> more dangerous, poorly paid jobs. NGOs urged the government
> to restructure public debts so that foreign lenders
> shoulder part of the damage. Left unattended, massive debts
> - Thailand shoulders an annual interest bill of 150 billion
> baht - would aggravate social and political conflicts.
>
> Piphob Thongchai, of the Campaign for Popular Democracy,
> said the government should not look on NGOs as foes but as
> partners that can use civil society pressure to increase
> state bargaining power in international trade. Srisuwan
> Kuankajorn, of an ecology group, said greater involvement
> by civil society would help the government negotiate for a
> debt moratorium. Copyright 2000 Copyright 2000 Bangkok
> Post. Source: World Reporter (Trade Mark) - Asia
> Intelligence Wire.Bangkok PostAsia Intelligence
7
The Ottawa Citizen January 21, 2000, FINAL SECTION: News;

8
> [...]
> organisms is in crops such as grains, corn and soybeans
> that have been altered to allow greater productivity, or to
> be more resistant to pests and disease. Up to 700 people
> are expected at the Montreal meeting, including observers
> from environmental, public-interest and industry groups.
>
> Some 40 environment ministers are also expected to attend.
> The observers will be allowed to monitor open discussions
> and ask questions, but conference officials said most of
> the actual negotiations would be in secret. Juan Mayr
> Maldonado, Colombia's environment minister, is heading the
> talks, which follow a meeting in Colombia last year that
> ended in a deadlock on a number of key issues. "Rest
> assured that I am determined to achieving our goal and that
> I do not intend to leave Montreal without having adopted
> the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety," he told the delegates
> in his opening address on Monday. Maldonado added that the
> agreement will have to strike a balance between the
> benefits of biotechnology and the protection of health and
> biodiversity. He told reporters that the talks have already
> progressed from the Colombia impasse through a series of
> informal discussions. The Colombia talks stalled when the
> U.S.-led "Miami Group," which includes Canada, Argentina,
> Uruguay, Australia and Chile, refused to accept European
> Union demands for the labeling of genetically modified bulk
> commodities. U.S. delegation head, David Sandalow,
> assistant secretary of state for oceans, environment and
> science, said the United States was opposed to efforts by
> developing countries to expand the scope of the proposed
> protocol. Sandalow said the so-called "Like-Minded Group"
> of developing countries want the Biosafety Protocol to
> cover pharmaceuticals, goods in transit through countries,
> and goods for "contained use" in research and similar
> activities. Those categories have been exempted in previous
> proposed drafts of the agreement, he said. "Our position is
> that the exemptions should stay," Sandalow told Reuters.
>
> "But we are working hard to try to understand the
> environmental concerns behind the Like-Minded Group's
> proposal and to figure whether there are ways we can help
> address them through this agreement."
>
> The EU has demanded precise labeling for genetically
> modified crops and foods derived from them. It has been
> slower than the United States at approving new genetically
> modified products because of broad consumer concerns about
> food safety. European countries also insist that the
> protocol should allow it to keep products off its market if
> it believes they present a health risk. The Miami Group
> wants to include a savings clause to ensure the Biosafety
> Protocol does not override other international treaties,
> such as those under the World Trade Organisation (WTO). WTO
> rules prevent countries from blocking food imports unless
> there are compelling scientific reasons.

1001/25 0836 Protesters Target Canada House In London
> LONDON (Reuters) - A group of environmental protesters said
> Monday they were targetting the London embassies of the
> Miami group of countries which export genetically modified
> products. "The protest focuses on the Miami Group of GMO
> exporting countries (the US, Canada, Australia, Chile,
> Argentina and Uruguay) who are blocking progress to strong
> regulation for the international movement of all LMOs
> (Living Modified Organizms)," the group, called the Genetic
> Engineering Network, said in a statement. The group
> demonstrated outside Canada House in London's Trafalgar
> Square and planned to deliver calling cards and letters to
> the other Miami group embassies later in the day, they said.
> A spokesman for the Canadian High Commission said that some
> 40 protesters had entered the building and had left when
> asked to do so by security. A fresh round of talks begin
> Monday in Montreal on an international Biosafety Protocol
> over trade and safety issues with genetically modified
> organizms used in crops and food products. The U.S.-led
> "Miami Group" has refused to accept EU demands for the
> labeling of genetically modified bulk commodities.
>
> Protesters opposed to genetically modified organizms in
> food also staged a march in Montreal S
>11
 01/24 1923 U.S. opposes effort to expand biosafety pact
> [...]
> environment and science, said the so-called "Like-Minded
> Group" of developing countries want the Biosafety Protocol
> to cover pharmaceuticals, goods in transit through
> countries, and goods for "contained use" in research and
> similar activities. Those categories have been exempted in
> previous proposed drafts of the agreement, Sandalow said.
>
> Environmental aides from more than 130 countries are in
> Montreal this week to try to forge a biosafety pact under
> the U.N. Convention on Biological Diversity. A similar
> effort failed last year in Cartagena, Colombia. "Our
> position is that the exemptions should stay," Sandalow told
> Reuters. "But we are working hard to try to understand the
> environmental concerns behind the Like-Minded Group's
> proposal and to figure whether there are ways we can help
> address them through this agreement."
>
> Even before the Like-Minded Group's new proposal, several
> issues threaten to prevent an agreement this week. As part
> of the Miami Group of negotiating countries, the United
> States has opposed European Union efforts to address food
> safety concerns in the pact. The Miami Group also wants to
> exempt genetically modified crops, such as corn and
> soybeans, from a requirement on other GMOs for advance
> notice of international shipments. Such a provision would
> disrupt world food trade without providing any significant
> benefit, the United States says. Negotiators arrived in the
> Canadian city late last week for informal meetings before
> the conference officially began on Monday. The Miami Group
> includes the United States, Argentina, Australia, Canada,
> Chile and Uruguay -- all of which are agricultural
> exporters with an interest in keeping markets open to
> genetically modified crops. Other negotiating blocs are the
> Like-Minded Group, the EU and the Compromise Group, which
> includes Japan. The United States has been encouraged by
> the seriousness of the discussions so far, Sandalow said.
>
> "I think if countries work hard we can reach an agreement
> by the end of the week," Sandalow said. "It's too early to
> know what the final result will be, but certainly we're
> working hard to try to address the concerns of other
> countries."
>
> As the world's leading producers of genetically modified
> crops, U.S. farmers have a huge stake in the outcome of the
> biosafety talks. "We want to see a very limited scope for
> this protocol," said Alex Jackson, a trade specialist for
> the American Farm Bureau Federation agreement. The protocol
> was originally proposed to cover genetically modified
> organisms that would be directly introduced into the
> environment, such as seeds, Jackson said. "Commodity and
> food products do not fit that bill," he said. Officially,
> the United States does not have a seat at the negotiations
> because the Senate has not ratified the Convention on
> Biological Diversity. It must rely on other Miami Group
> members to present its views in the talks.

signature:
Genetic Engineering Network
Requests for information as well as general enquiries should be sent to the
GEN office -
<info@genetix.freeserve.co.uk>
To subscribe or send information for submission to the
GEN - INFO 4 ACTION - email lists only- contact:
<genetics@gn.apc.org>
email archived as info4action -
<<http://www.gene.ch/info4action.html>http://www.gene.ch/info4action.html>