GE - Activists Uproot GE Strawberries!

>Anti Genetix Activists Uproot Genetically
>            Engineered Strawberries
>First action of its kind in Watsonville, CA

>Contact:   GenetiX Alert Press Office
>        Dylan King 415-626-4942
>        galert@angelfire.com
>

>Watsonville, CA- In a communiqui received today by Genetix Alert, activists
from the Fragaria Freedom Farmers, have destroyed a field of genetically
modified strawberries at Plant Sciences Inc's research facilities in
Watsonville, California (<http://www.mapquest.com/>http://www.mapquest.com).
Additionally, the night time gardeners left organic seeds on the
decontaminated
site.

>>From the communiqui: "By pulling, digging and chopping, we destroyed a small
research field of GE Strawberries at the company's headquarters.  We also left
behind a variety of organic seeds to see to it that not only is GE material
destroyed, but sustainable agriculture is left in its destructive wake"

>"By depending upon genetically engineered crops, large strawberry growers,
processors and distributors hope to further increase those profits (at further
expense to their workers), failing to recognize the dangerous and unintended
effects inherent in this artificial and imprecise technology".
>"We are convinced, by the recent surge in runaway industrial biotechnology,
that the drive for colonization has moved to the genetic level"

>According to their web site, Plant Sciences Inc, "remains grateful to God for
their clients and friends" This is irony coming from a company that is surging
forward with their biotech research field testing strawberries spliced with
e.coli  and designed to be fungal resistant.

>This action is the 21st known action taken against genetically engineered
crops and multinational biotechnology corporations  in the last year. It
occurred just a week after a raid on a Federal Biotech facility in Albany, CA
in which transgenic wheat was destroyed and during National Biotechnology
Month
as mandated by the US Congress. Direct action against genetically modified
crops is a common occurrence in England and India where there has been
incredible resistance to the implementation of this technology. It is
interesting to note that the first ever actions taken against ge crops in the
US took place in 1987 in Brentwood California and targeted strawberries.
(<http://www.efmedia.org/>http://www.efmedia.org)

>Details of past anti-GE actions are available at
<http://www.tao.ca/~ban/ar.htm>www.tao.ca/~ban/ar.htm. Genetix Alert is an
independent news center which works with other above-ground, anti-genetic
engineering organizations. GA has no knowledge of the person(s) who carryout
any underground actions. GA does not advocate illegal acts, but seeks to
explain why people destroy genetically engineered crops and undertake other
nonviolent actions aimed at resisting genetic engineering and increasing the
difficulty for entities which seek to advance genetic engineering or its
products. GA spokespeople are available for media interviews.

>(communiqui and directions follow)
>
>January 20, 2000
>
>In certain traditions, eclipses were seen as ill omens and portents of tragic
events:  of crop failures and famines, of civil unrest and injustice, of
slaughter and foreign occupation.  We're not so sure about last night's
eclipse, but we're sure that the U.S. Senate's resolution 200 which declared
this month "National Biotechnology Month" is a sign of some perilous times on
the horizon.  We, the Fragaria Freedom Farmers, will only stoop low enough in
observance of this heinous resolution to pull up the genetically mutilated
organisms celebrated by the U.S. Senate.  In the wee hours of a moon-lit
morning, we made a visit upon Plant Sciences, Inc., a Watsonville, CA based
biotechnology research facility.  By pulling, digging and chopping, we
destroyed a small research field of GE Strawberries at the company's
headquarters.  We also left behind a variety of organic seeds to see to it
that
not only is GE material destroyed, but sustainable agriculture is left in its
destructive wake.  Through their website
(<http://www..plantsciences.com/>www..plantsciences.com), Plant Sciences makes
it obvious that their research contributes to the proliferation of
biotechnology and genetic mutilation.

>The City of Watsonville prides itself on its strawberries, but there is
nothing to be proud of with genetic engineering research. Across the street
from Plant Sciences is Amesti Elementary School, whose students and staff have
already suffered from the greed of the local strawberry industry due to the
nearby spraying of methyl bromide.  Thankfully, restrictions on methyl bromide
applications are growing and the toxic fumagant is scheduled for complete
phase-out by 2005.  Unfortunately, Plant Sciences, Inc. undoubtedly hopes to
replace the chemical pollution of the environment with its own genetic
pollutants.  Still more unfortunately, unlike the effects of methyl bromide
which dissipate after some time, the spread (through cross-pollination) of
mutant genes to wild and conventional species will last an eternity.  Even if
the certified organic crops adjacent to Plant Sciences are never affected
directly, the actions of genetic research such as that performed by Plant
Sciences will undermine organic certification generally.

>There is an interesting belief in certain cultures that the strawberry is the
fruit of the devil because one must stoop so low in order to pick them.  To be
sure this designation is well deserved here on California's Central Coast
where
so many are being forced to stoop so low to provide so much wealth and profit
to so few.  By depending upon genetically engineered crops, large strawberry
growers, processors and distributors hope to further increase those profits
(at
further expense to their workers), failing to recognize the dangerous and
unintended effects inherent in this artificial and imprecise technology.

>We are convinced, by the recent surge in runaway industrial biotechnology,
that the drive for colonization has moved to the genetic level. While the
biological warfare of the conquistadors was incidental--a function of
different
immune systems that made the common cold and other common ailments the most
effective technology of massive genocide--we are convinced that the technology
now being produced deliberately by companies such as Plant Sciences (with
their
strawberries spliced with e. coli) will have similar unintended impacts, as GE
plant pollens invade and ravage the autonomy of the untampered species.

<http://www.angelfire.com/>http://www.angelfire.com