Staff, PA News
2) Biotech industry says gene maize research flawed BRUSSELS, Sept 22
(Reuters)

3) 09/22 1213 - KENNEDY ATTACKS GOVERNMENT OVER GM CROPS By Trevor Mason,
Political Staff, PA News
4) UK Liberals look to hurt Blair with GM attack By Mike Peacock HARROGATE,
England, Sept 22 (Reuters) -
5) 09/22 0249 LIB DEMS STEP UP PRESSURE FOR BAN ON GENE
6) Journal Pioneer (Summerside) Wednesday, September 22, 1999
> Final News A1 /
7) St. Louis-Based Corn Association Cautions Growers on Careful Crop
Preparation By Robert Steyer, St. Louis Post-Dispatch Sep. 22--
8) Deutsche Presse-Agentur September 22, 1999 - Soya from sacred plant to cash
crop BYLINE: By Heidemarie Puetz, dpa DATELINE: Hamburg
9) HEADLINE: FED: Govt fuels public scepticism on genetics
BODY: - Democrats DESPOJA GENETIC CANBERRA, Sept 22 AAP -
10) ABIX: Australasian Business Intelligence September 22, 1999
Biotech, IT to benefit in changes SOURCE: The Age BYLINE: Leon Gettler
11)  ABIX: Australasian Business Intelligence September 22, 1999 Offshore
venture capital flows eased SOURCE: The West Australian BYLINE: Leon Gettler
12) ASIA PULSE September 22, 1999 -INDIA FORMULATING STAND ON GENETICALLY
-MODIFIED FOOD, SEED - NEW DELHI, Sept 22
13) BUSINESS LINE September 22, 1999 - SECTION: Business -  India- DuPont
changes strategy for Tamil Nadu plant

1)  09/22 LIB DEMS PRESS DEMAND FOR GM CROPS BAN By Jackie Storer, Political
Staff, PA News
Liberal Democrats stepped
> [...]

> crops. Shelton and Roush compared the research to a human
> being dying after eating one hundred pounds of popcorn all
> at once. "Europabio reiterates that approved GM products
> are safe and beneficial to the environment and that no
> hasty conclusions should be drawn from laboratory studies,
> which at least need to be peer reviewed and confirmed by
> field experiments," Europabio said. European resistence to
> GM food has raised the spectre of a new trade battle with
> the United States, which has been unable to export GM
> commodities grown by U.S. farmers and developed by U.S.
>
> companies to the EU's lucrative market.
> ! Executive News Svc.
>
> ===================#===================
3) 09/22 1213 - KENNEDY ATTACKS GOVERNMENT OVER GM CROPS By Trevor Mason,
Political Staff, PA News
> Liberal Democrat Leader Charles Kennedy today made a surprise intervention
> in a party conference debate on genetically modified crops,
> calling for a five-year moratorium on commercial planting.
>
> Ahead of his main speech to representatives in Harrogate
> tomorrow, Mr Kennedy attacked the Government's "disastrous
> mishandling" of the issue. In a brief contribution, his
> first from the conference platform since being elected
> leader, he called on the party to be "bolder" in its
> commitment to the environment. Mr Kennedy insisted a
> moratorium on commercial growing, in the face of
> "legitimate public anxiety", would not prevent research
> into GM technology. "Science should be the servant of
> humanity," he said. "Science must never become the master of
> humanity."
>
> Research was necessary so that scientists could provide
> politicians with the information needed to make crucial
> decisions on GM crops. "Because of the disastrous
> mishandling by the Government of this policy issue, people
> don't even trust `trust me' Tony. "They don't trust him
> because they don't think Cabinet ministers are telling them
> the truth."
>
> He said the Liberal Democrats had to instill in voters the
> "fundamental belief that they can start trusting again their
> elected representatives". Mr Kennedy said: "The environment
> is going to be an absolutely fundamental issue for our
> party. "It's always been a central issue. But we have to be
> bolder in our commitment to the environment."
>
> The Liberal Democrats must be "watertight" on the issue in
> the face of inevitable attacks by other politicians, he
> added. Mr Kennedy said he was proud of the policy paper on
> GM food, which provided an excellent basis on which to move
> forward. The Liberal Democrats must be a party that was not
> scared of information or of sharing it with the public.
>
> "That's not happening at the moment and that's why I think
> this approach to GM makes sense."
>
> Executive News Svc.
> ===================#===================
4) UK Liberals look to hurt Blair with GM attack By Mike Peacock HARROGATE,
 Opposition
> Liberal Democrats on Wednesday pressed the government to
> ban trials of genetically modified crops, knowing they are
> more in tune with the public over "Frankenstein Foods" than
> Tony Blair. Environment spokesman Norman Baker called for a
> five-year halt to crop trials until proper research had
> been carried out into the effects on the environment. Prime
> Minister Tony Blair and his cabinet strong man, Jack
> Cunningham, havs been accused of being blindly in favour of
> the technology while the British public, stung by the "mad
> cow" scare, remains deeply distrustful. "Jack Cunningham and
> Tony Blair have constantly put forward the view that GM
> food is the best thing since sliced bread -- extra springy
> sliced bread," Baker said. He noted that even Cunningham
> had admitted no government could keep on top of such
> rapidly moving technology. "One has to ask, if the
> government isn't in the driving seat, who is?" Baker asked.
> "They can be found running behind the GM juggernaut
> hopelessly trying to catch up."
>
> Listening intently in the chamber was new LibDem leader
> Charles Kennedy, who has identified GM foods as a key issue
> to beat the government over the head with. Taking a
> surprise turn at the rostrum, Kennedy said the environment
> was a fundamental issue for his party, adding that the
> public did not trust Blair on GM technology. "Science
> should be a servant of humanity. Science should not ever
> become the master," he said. Kennedy's first conference as
> chief has proved to be a turbulent one with health
> spokesman Simon Hughes questioning his grasp of policy and
> activists railing against cooperation with the Labour
> government. Hughes, who came second to Kennedy in the
> party's summer leadership contest and is rumoured to be out
> of the running for the deputy leadership, on Wednesday
> denied a rift with Kennedy but said he was not a man of
> great ideas. "Charles has my full support," Hughes said,
> but added: "What he hasn't come from...is a school that has
> specific policy projects that he wanted to drive through
> the party."
>
> In the GM debate, the LibDems also called for clear
> labelling of foods and distancing of GM crops from normal
> ones should trials take place. Scientists say bees, and
> even the wind, could cause cross-pollination of crops. Last
> week, the government bowed to a legal challenge from
> environmentalists who said it had been wrong to allow
> biotechnology company AgrEvo to bring forward one of its
> tests of GM rapeseed from spring to autumn planting. "Only
> this weekend, the government has been found breaking the
> law over the planting of trial crops," Baker said.
>
> ===================#===================
5) 09/22 0249 LIB DEMS STEP UP PRESSURE FOR BAN ON GENE SWITCH CROPS By
Melissa
Kite, Political Correspondent, PA News Liberal Democrats were today
stepping up
pressure on

6) Journal Pioneer (Summerside) Wednesday, September 22, 1999
> [...]
> standard seed. But Tuesday's statement contains the most
> detailed "how-to" language for farmers on how to separate
> their crops and how to protect their investment. In a
> related matter, the giant grain processor Archer Daniels
> Midland Co. is offering some customers a premium for
> conventional corn. ADM, based in Decatur, Ill., provided
> few details. An initial report Friday by Bloomberg News
> Service said ADM would pay 8 cents a bushel more for
> biotech-free corn -- or a 5 percent premium. But Carla
> Miller, an ADM spokeswoman, told the Post-Dispatch Tuesday
> that the price will vary with market conditions. She said
> premiums will be offered to farmers along the Mississippi
> River growing corn for export customers. ADM also is
> offering extra money for a certain type of conventional
> soybean. Three weeks ago, ADM told suppliers they should
> segregate their biotech grains from their conventional ones.
> Three big grain companies -- Cargill, Conagra and A.E.
>
> Staley -- haven't announced rewards for standard corn.
> Consolidated Grain & Barge Co. advises growers "to take
> advantage of potential emergent niche markets for
> conventional corn," the National Corn Growers Association
> said. All of the grain companies require farmers to
> identify if their corn is genetically altered or
> conventional. The announcements by the corn growers group
> and ADM are the latest in a series of U.S. responses to
> biotech food opposition overseas. European nations have
> initiated food labeling laws and tightened restrictions on
> imports of American crops that have been altered to
> tolerate certain herbicides and fend off some pests.
>
> Anti-biotech pressure is mounting in Japan. Some European
> and Japanese food companies say they won't produce foods
> with any genetically altered ingredients. This opposition
> provides a marketing edge for growers of standard crops,
> but it also creates confusion. "The grain companies are
> changing the rules right in the middle of the game," said
> Greg Guenther, a Belleville corn and soybean farmer who
> also is a board member of the corn growers association.
>
> Guenther and other farmers are troubled by the uncertainty
> over what constitutes biotech-free crops. Because the
> 15-member European Union hasn't set a "purity threshold,"
> shipments of biotech-free crops technically must be
> 100-percent free of genetically modified organisms. That's
> a standard that's nearly impossible to achieve and hard to
> measure. Corn and soybean experts say European nations
> probably will accept "biotech-free" shipments containing
> less than 3 percent genetically-modified material, but they
> can't be sure. Genetic testing will help farmers and
> elevators detect the levels of genetically modified
> material in their crops. But the testing hasn't become
> sufficiently widespread to offer farmers much comfort this
> year, the National Corn Growers Association said. -----
> Visit PostNet.com, the World Wide Web site of the St. Louis
St.
Louis
> Post-Dispatch. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune
> Business News.
> ===================#===================

8) Deutsche Presse-Agentur September 22, 1999 - Soya from sacred plant to cash
crop BYLINE: By Heidemarie Puetz, dpa DATELINE: Hamburg
BODY: The nutritious soya
> [...]
> products, a European Union directive stipulates that they
> must be clearly labelled as containing GM ingredients.
>
> While testing can identify genetically manipulated soya
> beans, flakes, sprouts, flour and lecithin, it does work
> with soya oil, the genetic components and protein make-up
> of which are destroyed by heat. A survey carried out by an
> institute in Stuttgart, southern Germany, found that three
> quarters of Germans are opposed to GM foods. Consumer
> scepticism in Germany and elsewhere has led many companies,
> including Kikkoman and beansprout expert Deiters, to
> require their growers to guarantee that they do not use
> genetically modified raw materials. However, many in the
> business are hoping that a new GM soya bean with what
> Kundrun calls "additional benefits" - deriving from a
> genetically modified pattern of fat and amino acids - will
> win over consumers. It is due to be launched on the market
> in around two years' time.
> ===================#===================
9) HEADLINE: FED: Govt fuels public scepticism on genetics
BODY: - Democrats DESPOJA GENETIC CANBERRA, Sept 22 AAP -

> The major political parties were fuelling public scepticism
> about genetic technology by refusing to hold a senate
> inquiry, Australian Democrats deputy leader Natasha Stott
> Despoja said today. Both parties had thwarted repeated
> Democrats attempts to have issues of genetic technology and
> agriculture debated in the Senate and subjected to an
> inquiry. "By failing to involve the Senate in debates on
> health and environmental aspects of gene cloning,
> parliament has avoided hearing from representatives who do
> not share the uncritical acceptance of gene technology
> which is pro-development and short-term," Senator Stott
> Despoja, the Democrats consumer affairs spokeswoman, told
> the National Press Club. "I think this is unfortunate and
> will only result in increased scepticism and doubt about
> what has the potential to be a significant and beneficial
> technology."
>
> She said the Democrats did not oppose all aspects of gene
> technology but were unconvinced of some of its overall
> benefits. "Further research on the possible health risks of
> GM ( genetically modified) food consumption ... is needed
> before we accept more commercial agricultural
> biotechnology, " she said. She hoped a House of
> Representatives inquiry underway into primary producer
> access to gene technology was not simply a rubber stamp
> approval. The Democrats were sceptical about the speed with
> which biotechnology was imposed upon the Australian
> community, usually without its knowledge. An estimated 60
> per cent of processed food on supermarket shelves could
> contain genetically modified ingredients, she said. AAP
> rmg/mfh/cfm
> ===================#===================
10) ABIX: Australasian Business Intelligence September 22, 1999
Biotech, IT to benefit in changes SOURCE: The Age BYLINE: Leon Gettler
ABSTRACT: There will be two key winners from
> the Australian Government's corporate tax reforms on 21
> September 1999. New capital gains tax exemptions are aimed
> at attracting big overseas pension fund investors. The
> Australian biotechnology industry and information
> technology industry are expected to attract off shore
> venture capital. In the US, pension funds underpin much of
> the venture capital market. However, US pension funds do
> not invest in Australia because the gains they would make
> are subject to tax in Australia. The result is that many
> Australian start-ups struggle to attract sufficient capital

> ===================#===================
11)  ABIX: Australasian Business Intelligence September 22, 1999 Offshore
venture capital flows eased SOURCE: The West Australian BYLINE: Leon Gettler
ABSTRACT: Biotechnology and
> information technology companies are expected to be the
> biggest winners from tax changes. The changes are designed
> to attract offshore venture capital. The new capital gains
> exemptions are aimed at the big overseas pension fund
> investors, although widely held Australian super funds will
> also get an exemption if they receive income from a pooled
> development fund. PricewaterhouseCoopers partner David
> Pallier says biotechnology companies would be the main
> beneficiaries of the changes
> ===================#===================
12) ASIA PULSE September 22, 1999 -INDIA FORMULATING STAND ON GENETICALLY
-MODIFIED FOOD, SEED - NEW DELHI, Sept 22
BODY: India is formulating its
> stand on allowing imports of genetically -modified food and
> seed in the face of a global row over use of such
> commodities. "We have not taken any view so far on
> genetically modified seed. It is at the formulation stage,"
> said agriculture secretary Bhaskar Barua. An Indian
> Agriculture Ministry official said his ministry would
> formulate the policy on genetically -modified seed and let
> its view be known on import of genetically -modified food.
>
> "We will be expressing our views since it has an effect on
> agriculture in the country," the official said. The policy
> on genetically -modified food would be formulated by the
> Indian health ministry. As far as genetically -modified
> seed was concerned, Government's policy would be
> incorporated in the Plant Protection Variety Bill, to be
> introduced in Parliament once the 13th Lower house of
> Parliament was constituted, the official said. "We plan to
> get the bill passed by Parliament before December 31 this
> year," the official said. Genetically -modified seed would
> also be covered under the 1962 Seeds Act. While the US and
> European Union are locked in a tussle on trade in
> genetically -modified food, Japan has asked U.S. to ensure
> that its exporters label such food. Britain's Prince
> Charles is the latest to join the row, saying he felt such
> food was not safe. (PTI)
13) BUSINESS LINE September 22, 1999 - SECTION: Business -  India- DuPont
changes strategy for Tamil Nadu plant
BODY: S. Gopikrishna Warrier CHENNAI,