GE - GMO news 9/22 part 2

1)  BANGKOK POST September 22, 1999 - Editorial- Blast raises some age-old
questions
2)  The Daily Yomiuri September 22, 1999 - Ministry launches probe into
imported GM  foods BYLINE: Yomiuri
3) The Northern Echo September 22, 1999 - GM FOODS ARE BANNED FROM SCHOOL
DINNERS
4) Aberdeen Press and Journal September 21, 1999 - Campaign group face trial
5) Journal of Commerce September 21, 1999 - WORLD TRADE - Discussions break
off, to resume in January BYLINE: BY JULIA FERGUSON DATELINE: VIENNA
6) Newsday (New York, NY) September 22, 1999, Wednesday ALL EDITIONS SECTION:
FOOD & DINING; -fOOD DAY / WEDNESDAY / A LA CARTER / RESISTANCE CROPS UP TO
GENETIC FARMING BYLINE: Sylvia Carter
7) Greenwire September 21, 1999  WORLDVIEW - GENETIC ENGINEERING: VIENNA TALKS
APPEAR TO RESOLVE LITTLE
8) tHE PANTAGRAPH (Bloomington, IL.) September 19, 1999, Growing pains for
farmers; Debate continues over genetically altered crops CHRIS ANDERSON
9)  Countries commit to biosafety deal in 2000 ENDS Daily - 21/09/99
10)  Norwegian NGOs mobilise against GM foods ENDS Daily -
11) Western Producer Online (Canada)September 23, 1999

> [...]
> chlorate spread like wildfire as more and more farmers
> heard of it and passed on the word so that soon the
> chemical was in demand by almost every lamyai orchard.
>
> Although a controlled substance meaning its import,
> transport and storage all require a special licence it
> became accepted that many lamyai processing factories in
> Chiang Mai were storing the chemical, in many cases
> illegally. As if to confirm this, several factories closed
> their doors yesterday, presumably to dispose of their
> stocks of the chemical before they are discovered by the
> authorities. Even if the managers of the devastated factory
> must shoulder the blame for storing this chemical illegally
> and thus the explosion, there still remains the issue of
> the clearly lax and inefficient control and monitoring of
> this explosive substance. There already have been
> contradictory statements by the Defence Ministry and the
> Agriculture Department on whether Hong Thai Kaset Pattana
> had a licence to import potassium chlorate. This latest
> tragedy, like so many before it, has shed light on another
> disturbing problem, this time involving the development of
> our farm sector: the over-dependence and overuse of
> chemicals in agriculture, be it chemical fertilisers,
> pesticides, insecticides or, lately, genetically -modified
> plant seeds. Many lamyai growers have embraced the use of
> potassium chlorate with a passion because the chemical
> boosts the fertility of lamyai trees and provides them with
> several crops a year instead of just one. Despite the
> repeated warnings of agricultural experts that the chemical
> would exhaust the trees and, in the end, kill them, growers
> seem unconcerned. One was quoted as saying: "I would have
> died long before the trees under the burden of debt which
> keeps on building."It is not only lamyai growers who are
> dependent on potassium chlorate to boost their crop yields;
> many other farmers rely on chemical fertilisers and
> insecticides for the same reason so that they too can
> settle their debts with their creditors. Sadly, many are
> unaware of the effects of the chemicals on the environment
> and on their health. And those who are aware ignore the
> consequences by focussing wholly on the greater income they
> earn and need to pay off their debts. Behind the popularity
> of potassium chlorate among lamyai growers, and the
> incentive this gives companies such as Hong Thai Kaset
> Pattana to keep stocks, is farmer indebtedness too often
> the result of just trying to make ends meet from year to
> year which is keeping our farmers in inescapable poverty. As
> the authorities trip over themselves to appear to try to
> prevent a repeat of Sunday's blast, we should hope that
> they look beyond the obvious and delve into what is the
> root cause of this tragedy. Copyright 1999: Bangkok Post.
>
> ===================#===================
2)  The Daily Yomiuri September 22, 1999 - Ministry launches probe into
BODY: The Health and Welfare Ministry
> launched an investigation earlier this week at six
> quarantine check points across the nation to check whether
> genetically modified (GM) food that the ministry has not
> yet authorized for sale mis being imported into the
> country, according to ministry officials. Currently,
> samples of imported soybean and corn are being targeted for
> examination. It is the first time that the ministry has
> taken action to collect objective data on imported GM
> foods, although it has asked overseas manufacturers of such
> foods to refrain from exporting food to Japan that it has
> not licensed. GM foods that have been confirmed safe by the
> ministry to date include soybeans, corn and rapeseed. A
> total of 22 varieties of GM farm products have been
> licensed by the ministry after the manufacturers applied for
> registration and the products underwent safety checks by
> experts. The experts screened the products according to
> safety guidelines, which include an evaluation of toxins
> produced as a result of genetic engineering. While the
> ministry does not permit the importation of GM foods other
> than those that have passed the screening process, there
> are no legally binding regulations or penalties. The
> government has relied on the voluntary restraint of
> manufacturers concerning the export of unscreened foods to
> Japan, but consumer groups have raised questions as to
> whether the policy is effective. Currently, all GM foods
> being sold for consumption are imported. Experts believe
> that the majority of corn imported from the United States
> has been genetically modified. However, U.S. scientists are
> producing varieties that are mixtures of unmodified and GM
> agricultural produce, which have not been authorized for
> sale in Japan. Civic and consumer groups believe that GM
> foods other than those that have been tested for safety are
> being sold in the country.
> ===================#===================
3) The Northern Echo September 22, 1999 - GM FOODS ARE BANNED FROM SCHOOL
DINNERS
BODY: A COUNCIL is banning genetically modified food from the
> dinner plates of thousands of schoolchildren. Sunderland
> City Council's school meals service is asking all its
> suppliers to identify food and ingredients that has GM
> content. A spokeswoman for Sunderland's meals service said:
> "Food suppliers renewing future contracts will be required
> to demonstrate that they are supplying GM -free products."
>
> A spokesman for Durham County Council said: "All of our
> meals are provided by private contractor Chartwells, which
> has a policy, which we support, of not knowingly using
> genetically modified food."
>
> A Hartlepool Borough Council spokesman said: "Until we are
> convinced otherwise we will continue to adopt a cautious
> approach, which is why we have this policy of being against
> GM foods."
>
> Gateshead Borough Council now requires suppliers to
> identify food or ingredients that have GM derivatives. "The
> idea is to be totally GM-free," said a spokesman. A
> Middlesbrough council spokes-man said: "We insist to our
> suppliers that they don't supply GM food.
> ===================#===================

4) Aberdeen Press and Journal September 21, 1999 - Campaign group face trial
BODY: AN ABERDEEN environmentalist will stand trial later this year
> [...]

off, to resume in January BYLINE: BY JULIA FERGUSON DATELINE: VIENNA
> BODY: Global talks on regulating the multibillion-dollar
> trade in genetically altered foods and crops have ended
> without resolution, but both industry and environmentalists
> on Monday said progress had been made. The U.N.-sponsored
> conference, which ended just before midnight on Sunday, was
> a shot at hammering out agreement on a draft for an
> internationally binding pact on the trade, handling and
> transport of genetically modified organisms. Negotiating
> parties agreed in Vienna that another round of talks would
> take place in Montreal in January because it was necessary
> to iron out differences before the Biosafety Protocol could
> be signed by ministers in May 2000. The previous round of
> talks ended in stalemate last February in Cartagena,
> Columbia, after the main grain exporting countries led by
> the United States baulked at accepting environmental
> controls on exports of GM crops. The dispute centered on
> the G-77 group of developing nations, wary that the
> high-tech crops could pose a potential risk to the
> environment and human health, and the ""Miami Group'' of
> the United States, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Australia
> and Chile. The Global Industry Coalition, which represents
> 2,200 firms worldwide active in biotechnology, said the
> Vienna talks were encouraging as they were held in greater
> openness and showed a stronger commitment to clinching a
> successful protocol. ""We're all pleased there's been some
> movement since the low point of Cartagena,'' coalition
> member Joyce Groote of BioteCanada told Reuters.
>
> ""Everybody's looking for flexibility, and although not
> too much is on paper per se, there's definitely a mood, a
> desire at looking at different proposals,'' she added. The
> talks centered and stumbled on the treatment of commodities
> containing genetically modified organisms that can resist
> disease or produce higher yields. The Miami Group of
> grain-exporting countries wants a distinction between
> modified crops that are used for seed and those that will
> be used for livestock or human food. ""It may be that
> that's a nice distinction, but the real issue is what is
> the impact on biodiversity? And the reality is that the
> impact is exactly the same,'' said political adviser Louise
> Gale of Greenpeace. According to Greenpeace, the major
> development from the five-day talks was the firm resolve of
> the so-called Like-Minded Group of the developing world to
> insist on their right to reject imports of geneticlaly
> modified commodities. It is the biggest grouping at the
> negotiations and consists of the G-77 developing countries
> except Argentina, Chile and Uruguay, but including China.
>
> ===================#===================
6) Newsday (New York, NY) September 22, 1999, Wednesday ALL EDITIONS SECTION:
FOOD & DINING; -fOOD DAY / WEDNESDAY / A LA CARTER / RESISTANCE CROPS UP TO
BODY: A FEW WEEKS AGO, I drove through Illinois, Iowa and Missouri, past
> [...]

> are available to determine Bt corn in about 10 minutes,
> Kapraun said he will not make farmers wait. Farmers needing
> a GMO market can find buyers on the American Seed Trade
> Association web page at http: GRAPHIC: Glenn Waller dumped
> corn into a waiting truck, east of Danvers. Driving the
> truck was Jack Gillis. The two are among hundreds of
> Central Illinois Farmers faced with a dilemma for next year
> of growing traditionally bred crops or those created
> through genetic modification.
> ===================#===================

9)  Countries commit to biosafety deal in 2000 ENDS Daily - 21/09/99
>Government officials ended a week of talks on
> regulating international trade in live genetically modified
> organisms (GMOs) late on Sunday night with apparent
> consensus that there is the political will to finally agree
> a legal instrument in January. The draft UN biosafety
> protocol aims to lay down international rules to safeguard
> human health and the environment. Its progress was halted
> in February when the world's main grain exporting nations
> and a large group of developing nations reached deadlock
> over key issues (ENDS Daily 24 February 1999). In
> particular, these are: whether the protocol's scope should
> be restricted to live GMOs designed to be grown in the
> environment or whether it should also apply to GM foods;
> what legal liability rules there should be in case traded
> live GMOs cause damage, and what kind of relationship there
> should be between the biosafety protocol's rules and those
> of the World Trade Organisation. What, if any, progress was
> made on these particular issues during last week's talks
> remains unclear at this point.
>
> Contacts: UN biodiversity convention secretariat
> (<http://biodiv.org/>http://biodiv.org), tel: +1 514 288 2220.
>
> ===================#===================

10)  Norwegian NGOs mobilise against GM foods ENDS Daily -
> 21/09/99 Fifteen Norwegian NGOs have formed a "network for
> food and environment" to lobby for a ten-year moratorium on
> the production and sale of gene-modified foodstuffs, the
> Norwegian Biotechnology Advisory Board reports in its
> newsletter Genialt. The conservationists are also calling
> for government funding of "independent research" into the
> environmental implications of gene technology. A spokesman
> for the new umbrella group said: "Gene technology is more
> bingo than science. It has only been tested for a few years
> in artificial conditions. It is impossible to draw any
> conclusions over the long-term ecological consequences of
> cultivating GM species." Members of the network say they
> are "mobilising" for a campaign aimed at consumers on the
> grounds that "GM foods are unsafe, unwanted and
> unnecessary". Shops selling products containing GM material
> are intended to be plastered with stickers showing a red
> "G" in the shape of a warning triangle with the legend, "GM
> food -- no thanks!".
>
> Contacts: Norwegian Biotechnology Advisory Board

11) Western Producer Online (Canada)September 23, 1999 Labels