GE - GOVERNMENT IN GM TRIALS CHAOS

1) Friday, September 17, 1999 Government acted illegally on GM (Govt will not
order that they be pulled up will leave it up to court ruling)
2) FOE press release: URGENT: GOVERNMENT IN GM TRIALS CHAOS AFTER FOE  LEGAL
VICTORY

1) Friday, September 17, 1999 Government acted illegally on GM GM crops have
faced sustained opposition from campaigners Green campaigners have scored a
victory over ministers after the government announced it was wrong to allow
changes to a trial of genetically-modified food.
But Environment Minister Michael Meacher said the decision not to contest a
judicial review won by Friends of the Earth was made on technical grounds and
was not based on fears over the crop's safety.
The case centres on changes the government allowed to trial crops of GM food
owned by AgrEvo UK Ltd.
FoE had claimed the government was wrong to allow the firm to change the GM
crop being tested without submitting a new application.
They also challenged the decision to quadruple the area of land used and
double
the length of the trial from six months to one year.
Mr Meacher said: "Following legal advice the government has decided not to
contest the judicial review proceedings instigated by Friends of the Earth in
respect of licensing of certain GM trials."
Technical defeat
Mr Meacher said he was conceding defeat only on one "narrow, technical matter"
- the power to vary the permission granted.
He insisted: "There are no health, safety or environmental issues involved."
But he said AgrEvo UK would not be ordered to pull up the crops although he
recognised FoE might ask the courts to make such an order.
"If an application is made to the courts, they will give a ruling," he said.
Mr Meacher added: "This is a technical issue, not one of safety. The
government's programme of farm-scale crop trials will continue.
"It is absolutely vital that we have these trials. They will tell us what
effect, if any, growing GM crops may, or may not have, on Britain's wildlife."

--
Adrian Bebb
Food and Biotechnology Campaigner

Tel 0113 242 8153
Fax 0113 242 8154

"When you look at Europe, you get depressed, you really get depressed,"
said Jim Hershey, an international marketing director for the American
Soybean Association in St. Louis.