GE - Farm Scale trials go ahead secretly

1) Gene rapeseed test sites planted in UK -AgrEvo - Sep 10, 1999
LONDON, Sept 10 (Reuters)
2 )For Immediate Release September 10th 1999 AGREVO RIDES ROUGHSHOD OVER
PUBLIC
OPPOSITION TO GM EXPERIMENTS - AGAIN! Greenpeace PR
3) Friends of the Earth FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday 10th September 1999
CARRY ON PLANTING! GOVERNMENT PLOUGHS ON WITH GM TRIALS
4) Farmer pulls the plug on key GM crop trial; NEIGHBOURS' FEARS FORCE
LANDOWNER TO THINK AGAIN BYLINE:  David Derbyshire  DAILY MAIL (London)
September 8, 1999 -

[NB Commment from GEN - these are extremely misleading comments that have come
from Nottingham Farmer David Rose. According to AgrEvo Press Release as of
yesterday - Mr Rose is going ahead with a slightly smaller scale trial of
exactly the same GE oilseed rape on his farm. Surely this means that whatever
concerns local people had about the larger farm scale trial they will still
have about the slightly smaller GE trial!]

1) Gene rapeseed test sites planted in UK -AgrEvo - Sep 10, 1999
LONDON, Sept 10 (Reuters)

Three of four British test sites planned
for genetically modified winter oilseed rape have been planted and a
fourth
site has been identified, biotechnology company AgrEvo said on Friday.
A simultaneous announcement was made by the Supply Chain Initiative
on
Modified Crops (SCIMAC), a group representing farmers, plant breeders,
the
seed trade and biotechnology companies.
"AgrEvo believe that these farmers should be supported in their
commitment to balanced science and reasoned debate within the framework
of
a safe regulatory framework," the biotechnology firm said in a
statement.
"All the growers involved are keen to ensure that these evaluations
continue so that the effects of the technology can be assessed," it
said.
SCIMAC said it shared the UK government's determination to ensure
that
the development of gene technology was based on sound scientific
principles
-- "not pressure group propaganda and intimidation."
It added, "The farm scale evaluations are designed to answer the
very
questions raised about GM (genetically modified) crop technology by
environmental groups."
Environmental activists have repeatedly attacked and destroyed test
fields of gene crops in Britain, where some food retailers have pledged
take GM ingredients out of the food they sell.
AgrEvo is a joint venture between Germany's Hoechst AG <HOEG.F> and
Schering AG <SCHG.F> and is one of the leaders in the field of
biotechnology.
Environmental pressure group Friends of the Earth said in August it
was
taking the British government to court over the "rushed" approval of an
expansion of gene crop trials.
REUTERS
====================
2 )For Immediate Release September 10th 1999
AGREVO RIDES ROUGHSHOD OVER PUBLIC OPPOSITION TO GM EXPERIMENTS - AGAIN!
Greenpeace deeply regrets agrochemical company AgrEvo's announcement
today (10th September 1999) that it has planted three farm-scale trials
of GM winter oilseed rape despite overwhelming public opposition to the
trials.
A recent report, commissioned by MAFF, by the respected John Innes
Research Institute, pointed out that "once GM crops are released they,
like all crops, cannot be completely contained."
These so-called "farm-scale evaluations" of GM winter oilseed rape will
contaminate wild plants - natural brassicas such as wild mustard, wild
radish and wild turnip. Dispersal of pollen over several miles will take
place by bees and other insects and could lead to contamination of
locally produced honey.
Greenpeace campaign director, Sarah Burton, said: " AgrEvo's insistence
on carrying on with these dangerous trials is arrogant, anti-democratic
and anti-nature. There is no demand for the products from either food
producers or supermarkets."
According to AgrEvo, the location of the fourth farm-scale trial site
will be announced tomorrow (Saturday 11th September), after David Rose
from of Home Farm in Screveton backed out of plans to grow a farm-scale
trial of winter GM oil seed rape. At a public meeting held at Syerston
Village Hall, local people voted unanimously against accepting the
farm-scale trial in their area because they were worried that the GM
crops would contaminate their environment, including locally produced
honey, insects and wild plants.
"The Government should cancel the farm scale trial programme, ban GM
food and put its energy into supporting organic and sustainable
farming," added Burton.
ENDS
For further information please contact the Greenpeace press office on
0171 865 8255/6/7/8

4) Farmer pulls the plug on key GM crop trial; NEIGHBOURS' FEARS FORCE
LANDOWNER TO THINK AGAIN BYLINE:  David Derbyshire  DAILY MAIL (London)
September 8, 1999 -
BODY: A FARMER has abandoned a trial of