GE - Report on Biotech policy conference held at Harvard

The web site linked below includes numerous photos and audio clips from the
(pro-) biotech policy conference held at Harvard last week:

<<http://www.iisd.ca/sd/har/index.html>http://www.iisd.ca/sd/har/index.html>
>From: "Sharon Tisher" <Sharon_Tisher@apollo.umenfa.maine.edu>
>Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:44:20 -0500
>Subject: Harvard conference on biotech
>
>I'm attaching my draft report for the MOFGA newspaper on this
>conference. I think you may find some of the statements of the
>attendees interesting,and provocative.  I also submitted a viewpoint,
>entitled "House of Cards?" on the website of the conference, which
>is at
<http://www.cid.harvard.edu/cidbiotech/homepage.htm>http://www.cid.harvard.e
du/cidbiotech/homepage.htm.

Report from the Harvard Conference on Biotechnology

There is a touch of unreality about sitting in Orono, getting much of my
information about developments in agro-biotechnology from news stories
circulated on various e-mail networks. So as a reality-check, I attended an
international conference on biotechnology policy hosted by Harvard on
September 2-3. The conference was organized by Dr. Calestous Juma, a Kenyan
and the former Executive Secretary of the UN Convention on Biodiversity,
currently a Special Advisor to the newly created Harvard Center for
International Development. In response to Dr. Juma's invitation, over 200
experts from all over the world flocked to Cambridge --
scientists, academicians, and representatives of industry, national
governments and international organizations, including the entire
biotechnology panel of the U.N.  Commission on Science and Technology,
which was holding its meeting concurrently with the conference. There were
a smattering of activist NGO's represented, but none of the big ones, and
the tenor of the conference was decidedly "mainstream."  Nonetheless, it
was evident that these experts in biotech science or policy are asking many
of the same questions as we are, and are just as lacking in answers. Rather
than attempt a narrative of a very intense two days, I will offer up a
collage of comments from both public proceedings and conversations during
the conference.

"It hasn't been a very good year if you're a supporter of these
technologies for their potential." Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, Director, Harvard
Center for International Development, noting that whereas there were 2000
articles in the U.S. press mentioning "genetically altered" or "genetically
modified" in all of 1997,  there were over 9000 in the first eight months
of 1999.

"Rarely has there ever been a global debate of such intensity on a subject
on which there is so little substantive knowledge and such conjecture." Dr.
Sheldon Krimsky, Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, Tufts
University.

"Hundreds of millions of people are eating GM food and as far as I know no
one has gotten sick and no one has posed a plausible theory of why they
would get sick." Dr. Peter Raven, Missouri Botanical Garden.

"The GM debate is a sideshowŠ Any Monarch butterfly that comes into contact
with the 8 to 9 pesticides sprays on a conventional corn crop will be dead
as a doornail." Id.

"99% of the patents are originated in the rich countries. Monsanto's annual
R & D budget is three times that of the entire CGIAR [Consultative Group
for International Agricultural Research, a World Bank organization
dedicated to funding research to address world hunber]." Dr. Jeffrey Sachs.

"The major problem is not that the biotech companies are ignoring the third
world, but that they may be sucking the value out of the unique ecologies
of the third world." Dr. Richard Lewontin, Museum of Comparative Zoology,
Harvard, noting that the industry is developing soy that contains caffeine
and rape seed that can produce palm oil. ("They'll be able to produce palm
oil in North Dakota; add the [coffee] taste to the soy, and who needs Costa
Rica?")

"It's going to come to a head this fall. I don't know what will happen.
Maybe violent uprisings, farmers burning grain in the street." W. Kirk
Miller, Director of International Programs and Regulatory Affairs, North
American Export Grain Association, commenting on diminishing markets for GM
grains, and on the impossibility of guaranteeing, even with efforts of
segregation, that American grain is not contaminated with GM strains.

"No one can claim any benefit of the Terminator technology to the consumer
or the farmer, but the USDA put half the money in [its development]. Dr.
Richard Lewontin.

"1 l/2 billion people depend on farm-saved seed for food security. This
[the Terminator technology] is the most important challenge to the
Convention on Biodiversity. To sterilize a large section of the earth's
surface through trading in sterile seed...." Edward Hammond, Consultant in
Genetic Resources.

"The Terminator technology is not unethical. It is unethical to empower
farmers with the ability to steal value added by companies." Dr. Luther Val
Giddings, Biotechnology Industry Organization.

"Those selling GM have done an appalling job of communicating with the
public." Dr. Peter Raven.

"Public research has to be somehow detached from the centers of power. How
do you do that? Wave a red flag?" Dr. Richard Lewontin.

"Except in Denmark, we have no public debate of a reasoned nature on
biotech research." Prof. Lynn Mytelka, Chair, Division on Investment,
Technology and Enterprise Development, UN Conference on Trade and
Development.

"There is no existing scientific basis for developing specific legislation
for transgenic organisms." Dr. Michael Oborne, Organization of Economic
Cooperation and Development (OECD) (an organization of the 30 developed
nations, whose 1993 policy on biotech safety closely tracked the U.S. FDA's
1992 policy statement).

"There are no canonical tests to evaluate crops that have been genetically
modified. As opposed to the advances that have been made in chemical
toxicology, each GM crop has to be examined on its own for nutrition,
allergenicity, pathogenicity. Tests are being invented as products move off
the assembly line." Dr. Sheldon Krimsky.

"We actually are not quite sure of what has happened." Dr. Julian
Kinderlerer, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Sheffield
University, U.K., on the consumer reaction to GM foods in Great Britain.
Kinderlerer noted that biotech stories appeared on the front page of all
major British papers one out of every three days this year.

"New drugs are only allowed on the market if tests demonstrate that they
are better than existing drugs. Why not for foods? Because we don't have
anything to compare them with. We don't test foods." Dr. Kinderlerer.

"The House of Lords asked the USDA for details of its monitoring of the
[then] 30 million [now 60 million] acres of crops being grown in the US.
I'm afraid the USDA said they had not monitored the crops because they did
not expect any unexpected events. That is recorded in the House of Lords.
We found that astonishing." Dr. Kinderlerer.

"The consumer has a right to know. Even if the scientist believes that a
label is stupid, unnecessary, and possibly even false, the decision of the
consumer that the label is necessary must be overriding." Dr. Kinderlerer.

"Are we afraid to assert our ignorance? Are we willing to come to grips
with the fact that we're not sure how these genes are going to affect other
genes down the line?" Dr. Krimsky.

[answering the preceeding question] "While foods tested in Europe are
believed to be safe, the view of many scientists is that we can't predict
the effect of releases into the environment. At the very least we need to
monitor extremely carefully what we put out into the environment. This is
very difficult to do. Effects are so small you don't know what you're
looking for." Dr. Kinderlerer.

"By going too far too quickly, we may kill this technology." Dr. Helen
Argalias, UN Commission on Science and Technology.

"Prince Charles never used the words 'Frankenstein foods."' An unnamed
employee of the Prince, responding to a characterization of the Prince's
opposition to GM foods.