GE - World Seed Conference: Shrinking Club of Industry Giants

[for more info on this subject see last weeks excellent SchNEWS and see bottom
of email for reminder re: Seeds of Resistance]

>Sender: rafi.hope@mail.rafi.org
>Rural Advancement Foundation International (RAFI)
>News Release
><http://www.rafi.org/>http://www.rafi.org
>

>        **  World Seed Conference: Shrinking Club of Industry Giants  **
>                Gather for Wake or Pep Rally?
>
>        **RAFI Releases Newly Updated ÆSeed Industry Giants: Who Owns Whom?**
>
>An inauspicious gathering of the 1999 World Seed Conference takes place
>6-8 September in Cambridge UK to mark the 75th anniversary of the
>international seed trade. RAFI takes this opportunity to release its 1999
>update on seed industry consolidation. A shrinking number of colossal
>companies - the Gene Giants - dominate global sales of seeds,
>agrochemicals and pharmaceuticals. "Given the dramatic rate of
>consolidation in the global seed trade, membership is evaporating and all
>of the seed industry CEO's could probably meet for a weenie roast on
>someone's patio," remarks Pat Mooney, Executive Director of RAFI, who is
>among the featured speakers at next week's World Seed Conference.
>
>According to RAFI, the top five Gene Giants (AstaZeneca, DuPont, Monsanto,
>Novartis, Aventis) account for nearly two-thirds of the global pesticide
>market (60%), almost one-quarter (23%) of the commercial seed market, and
>virtually 100% of the transgenic (genetically modified) seed market. "The
>Gene Giants' portfolio extends far beyond plant breeding," explains
>Mooney, "From plants, to animals, to human genetic material they are fast
>becoming monopoly monarchs over all the life kingdoms," said Mooney.
>Five years ago, none of top 5 Gene Giants appeared on the list of leading
>seed corporations. In fact, 3 of the top 5 companies didn't even exist
>(Zeneca + Astra merged to form AstraZeneca; Rhone Poulenc + Hoechst became
>Aventis; Ciba Geigy + Sandoz became Novartis. DuPont swallowed Pioneer
>Hi-Bred earlier this year.
>
>A few short years ago, many would have predicted that the 1999 World Seed
>Conference would be a gala event to reap the profits and promise of
>genetically modified (GM) seeds.  After all, sales of transgenic seeds
>grew twenty-fold from 1995-1998; analysts predicted industry revenues
>would surpass $3 billion in 2000 and explode to $25 billion in 2010.  But
>much has changed in the past year. The Cambridge gathering is rapidly
>taking on the trappings of a wake, and the group might forego their patio
>picnic to hunker down in a bunker instead. The civil society organizations
>who plan to protest in Cambridge under the banner "Seeds of Resistance,"
>will reinforce the message that GMOs are under siege
>
>Seed Industry Top 10
>Company                 Seed Sales (US)
>                        Millions - 1998
>DuPont (USA)            $1,835+
>Monsanto (USA)          $1,800  (estimate)
>Novartis(Switzerland)   $1,000
>Groupe Limagrain (France)       $733
>Savia S.A. de C.V.  (Mexico)    $428
>AstraZeneca (UK and Neth.)      $412
> [...]

- Hey but don't get depressed COME JOIN THE -

Seeds of Resistance

Seeds of Resistance
Cambridge 6-8 September

Fancy planting some unusual variety of beetroot seeds or opposing the
power of global agribusiness?
Join us for this event to celebrate diversity and challenge uniformity.

We are an alternative vision to the official World Seed Conference.

While institutions and corporations alike further their domination of the
seed industry, plant breeding, farmers rights, and biodiversity generally,

We will be building links, sharing ideas, eating organic food, exchanging
seeds, painting banners, creating a grassroots movement to ensure a
localised food Revolution.

Monday 6th will be inspiration and information packed workshops and
discussions, while Tuesday we'll prepare for an event on the Wednesday to
take some creative action together.

If you're interested in coming BRING SEEDS, action ideas, information for
stalls or an appropriate workshop.

For more info contact:

WEN 0171 247 3327
or
Seeds of Resistance 0181 374 9677 or 0966 464606
or
email <marigold@gn.apc.org>

        * * * * *

"Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food.
Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible."
Phil Angell,  Director of Corporate Communications, Monsanto

        * * * * *

Women's Environmental Network
   TestTube Harvest Campaign

87 Worship Street
London EC2A 2BE
t: +44 (0)171 247 3327
f: +44 (0)171 247 4740
<http://www.gn.apc.org/WEN>http://www.gn.apc.org/WEN

the Seeds of Resistance is set up as a positive alternative to the following
industry conference:

1999 World Seed Conference:
6 - 8 September 1999, Cambridge UK.

This meeting is co-organised by ISTA, FIS/ASSINSEL, OECD and UPOV.
For Conference Details & Registration Forms go to:
WWW: <http://www.seedtest.org/>http://www.seedtest.org
WWW: <http://www.worldseed.org/>http://www.worldseed.org