GE - FOE press release: GM FOOD: HEALTH MONITORING IN CHAOS

FOE press release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday 2nd September 1999

GM FOOD: HEALTH MONITORING IN CHAOS

> A key Government Committee has admitted that any attempt to monitor the
> health effects of GM food on the British public is likely to fail.
> Friends of the Earth have described the latest plans from the
> Government's Advisory Committee on Novel Foods and Processes [1] as
> "scraping the bottom of the barrel".
>
> Earlier this year, Friends of the Earth revealed Government plans to use
> data from supermarket loyalty cards to track patterns of GM food
> consumption and relate them to possible health effects. All the major
> supermarkets responded to our story by stating that they would not
> co-operate with the proposal. At its meeting today, ACNFP agreed to
> carry out an 18 month feasibility study into the how consumption of GM
> food could be related to possible health effects. But the Committee
> conceded that any small or subtle health effects could be missed by such
> a broad study. (A copy of the ACNFP paper is available from FOE Press
> Office)
>
> Several members of the Committee made reference to the possible use of
> supermarket loyalty cards  with the holders permission.  Supermarket
> Chief Executives may be subject to "Ministerial approaches" to seek
> their co-operation in providing sales data on a regional basis. Health
> data likely to be used include cancer and mortality rates, birth related
> events and GP monitoring data.
>
> Commenting, Pete Riley, Senior Campaigner on Biotechnology at Friends of
> the Earth, said:
>
> "The ACNFP don't seem to have noticed that nearly all major supermarkets
> and food manufacturers have decided not to stock GM food.
>
> What the public want is GM-free food, not woolly proposals to monitor
> any health effects after GM foods have already been eaten. Post
> marketing monitoring is not a substitute for proper research before GM
> food is released into the human food chain. The Government seems content
> to use the UK population in an uncontrolled experiment. Supermarkets
> seem more in touch with public opinion than these so called safety watch
> dogs"
>
> ENDS
>
> NOTES TO EDITORS
>
> [1]     A sub committee of the ACNFP met at MAFF on Thursday 2nd
> September at 10.30. The meeting was chaired by ACNFP chair Janet
> Bainbridge. The group originally proposed using supermarket loyalty
> cards to track GM food health effects in March 1998. The latest meeting
> was to review new proposals after supermarkets rejected the idea in
> earlier this year.
> --
> "The idea that public transport has become more expensive since we came
> into office is not the case, certainly with regard to the tube and the
> buses. Over the last two years fares have risen no more than RPI (Retail
> Price Index) plus three".
>
> "Aeroplanes are very carefully controlled. They are not allowed to fly
> [...]

"When you look at Europe, you get depressed, you really get depressed,"
said Jim Hershey, an international marketing director for the American
Soybean Association in St. Louis.