GE - GMO News 08/29

GMO News  08/29
1)  Marketing Week August  26 -Digest  BODY: [Excerpt Follows] Greenpeace has
accused Novartis subsidiary Wasa of 'double standards'
2)  August  29, - Gene-altered foods belie health-hazard warnings BYLINE:
Joyce Howard Price; THE WASHINGTON TIMES
3) Asia Today September,  1999
HEADLINE:  Industry rethink needed as Indonesia  looks ahead
4)  The New York Times August 29, -Week in Review Desk -The World: Heartburn;
Fearful Over the Future, Europe Seizes On Food BYLINE: ROGER COHEN
5)  The New York Times August 29, 1999 -New Trade Threat For U.S. Farmers
> BYLINE: By MELODY PETERSEN DATELINE: WASHINGTON, Aug. 27
6) The Grocer August  28, 1999  LETTERS;This symbol  is discredited
BODY: Sir, In  selling its symbol, the Vegetarian Society  has discredited
itself
7)   The Washington Post August  28, LETTERS : Our  Wholesome Tofu

 ======#======
1)  Marketing Week August  26 -Digest  BODY: [Excerpt Follows] Greenpeace has
accused Novartis subsidiary Wasa of 'double standards'
following its decision to cease drawing German
> consumers'
> attention to the fact that its Powerplay chocolate bar contains
> genetically
> modified ingredients. The company is not required to do so by law.

> ======#======
2)  August  29, - Gene-altered foods belie health-hazard warnings BYLINE:
Joyce Howard Price; THE WASHINGTON TIMES
BODY: Americans have been eating
> [...]
> protein.  But that research was abandoned when it was found that
> people allergic to Brazil nuts were also allergic to the new
> recombinant soybeans.
>    "That problem was found in the very early stages of
> development . None of those commercialized (genetically
> engineered) foods" has caused illness or harm, Mr.  Toenniessen
> said in a telephone interview.
>    "To be frank, I don't think gene-altered foods are much of a
> health risk," he added.
>    Although it's only been three years since the first large-
> scale commercial harvest of a crop that had undergone genetic
> tinkering, such crops today cover a fourth of U.S.  cropland.
> "The rate of adoption of this technology at least in this
> country has been extremely rapid," Mr. Toenniessen said.
> According to Consumer Reports, the USDA has already approved 50
> genetically altered crop plants engineered to be resistant to
> insects or herbicides.  The list includes tomatoes, potatoes,
> melons, beets, corn, soybeans and squash.  And gene-spliced
> versions of other such crops, such as rice, cucumbers, apples,
> strawberries, walnuts and sugarcane are currently being tested.
>   The magazine said more than a third of all corn, almost 55
> percent of all soybeans, and nearly half of all cotton grown in
> this country are crops that have undergone genetic tinkering.
>    In shopping trips last winter and summer, Consumer Reports
> staffers found a wide array of products - including Ovaltine
> Malt powdered beverage mix, certain brands of infant formula,
> veggie burgers, taco shells, and a corn muffin mix - that
> contained genetically engineered ingredients.
>    For the most part, Americans have been consuming biotech
> foods without knowing it because genetically rearranged foods
> sold in this country do not have to be so labeled.
>    A recent survey by the International Food Information Council
> found that only a third of Americans knew such foods are sold in
> stores.  Thomas Hoban, professor of sociology and food science
> at North Carolina State University, said studies he and others
> have conducted have consistently indicated between two-thirds
> and three-quarters of Americans are not worried about genetic
> foods, since they trust the safety of the food supply.
>    But that's starting to change.  "Americans seem to be moving
> from a position of not paying much attention to genetic
> engineering of foods or not even knowing about it to a position
> of paying some attention to it," Mr.  Toenniessen said.    Some
> environmental and consumer groups have sued the government over
> the lack of labeling and safety testing.
> What's more, some food industry giants such as grain processor
> Archer Daniels Midland Co.  and baby food manufacturer Gerber
> are demanding that farmers provide them with corn that has not
> been genetically changed.
> ======#======
3) Asia Today September,  1999
HEADLINE:  Industry rethink needed as Indonesia  looks ahead
BODY: JAKARTA: Mining  and agriculture in Indonesia are
> [...]
> received the level of importance it should have.
>    "In the past the government has been seen as having promoted
> too many types of businesses and industries viewed as
> "strategic", but to have placed very little emphasis on
> productive industries. The level of productivity was not taken
> into calculation when the government talked about building cars
> and planes or developing a huge banking sector. Basically, the
> reality is that Indonesia will not produce the next General
> Motors or Boeing because it does not have the inherent
> competitiveness in these two industries.
>    "Whoever takes over [the government], should try to focus on
> developing globally competitive businesses. If we don't, we will
> be wiped out in an increasingly globalised economy." Tahija says
> Indonesia is in the ASEAN Free Trade Area [AFTA] which becomes
> a reality in 2003 and is committed to liberalise its market
> under deadlines agreed with the World Trade Organisation.
> Indonesian companies can no longer hide behind regulations and
> tariff barriers. Free trade rules will force Indonesia to become
> more productive to compete in the global market. There will be
> less room for unproductive businesses, which will be wiped out.
>    Many Indonesian businesses have disappeared during the
> recession, but Tahija says it would be wrong to under-estimate
> the tenacity of business people here. He believes business will
> thrive again given the right environment, the right climate and
> getting the banking sector back in business.
>    "The banking sector is the most crucial element in restoring
> the confidence of business," he says. Extra funds provided by
> the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund during the
> crisis have gone to the government, and the money is not flowing
> back into the economy to turn the wheels of commerce. "What we
> need is private sector money to come back... but it won't return
> unless there is confidence." He agrees that "some degree of
> confidence" has returned and this is evident in the inflow of
> speculative investment in the Jakarta stock market. But
> Indonesia is not seeing long-term investment yet because
> confidence has not improved to that level. It could well be two
> or three years before full confidence is restored.
> The major problems Indonesia faces today are two-fold. People
> are more cautious, and financial institutions are still working
> out the debt overhang. "What will make the difference is
> establishment of a transparent and cleaner business
> environment," says Tahija. And that will not come from lessons
> learned from the crisis, but rather external factors forcing
> Indonesia to conform to international standards. Ultimately,
> however, Tahija says Indonesia must have a stable government.
> The longer that takes the longer it is going to take to turn the
> economy around.
> ======#======
4)  The New York Times August 29, -Week in Review Desk -The World: Heartburn;
Fearful Over the Future, Europe Seizes On Food BYLINE: ROGER COHEN DATELINE:
PARIS  BODY: FIST raised, mustache bristling, Jose Bove
> [...]
> imprisoned Mr. Bove -- was not impressed.
>    "Culinary sovereignty is imperative," said Patrice Vidieu,
> the secretary-general of Peasant Confederation, the growing
> farmers' movement founded by Mr. Bove in 1987. "What we reject
> is the idea that the power of the marketplace becomes the
> dominant force in all societies, and that multinationals like
> McDonald's or Monsanto come to impose the food we eat and the
> seeds we plant."
>    Mr. Vidieu's movement derives much of its intellectual
> inspiration and direction from Attac, an association founded
> last year in France to fight globalization and to campaign for
> a tax on international financial transactions that would be used
> to help the world's poor and fight social inequality. Among the
> leaders of Attac (the French acronym for the Association for
> Taxation of Financial Transactions in Order to Aid Citizens) are
> Viviane Forrestier, whose anti-globalization book "The Economic
> Horror" has had enormous sales in France, and editors of the
> prestigious Le Monde Diplomatique.
>    It is this merging of militants against global finance and
> global food that has given the current outcry some of its
> curious virulence. Senator Lugar, who would like to see
> scientific testing of  genetically  modified crops in Europe,
> confessed to being amazed. His argument is simple. The
> population of the world will probably grow to nine billion from
> six billion by 2050. Available acreage for planting has already
> been identified. So, unless food productivity is increased --
> which will not happen without scientific intervention -- people
> are going to go hungry.
>    "The Europeans think they are protecting humanity," he said,
> "but we think they want to starve the rest of the world. These
> are big issues. I've been telling the Europeans that there's a
> big difference between the Kosovo war and  genetically  modified
> corn: For many Americans corn is more important."    But
> Philippe Folliot, the mayor of a St. Pierre-de-Trivisy, a small
> town in the Roquefort-growing area, is unimpressed by such
> arguments. He has imposed a symbolic 100 percent tax on Coca-
> Cola sold in the town. "Here we cannot make plastic cheeses and
> hormone beef," he said. "Roquefort is unique, a symbol of our
> battle against the globalization of taste."
> GRAPHIC: Photos: Target, American food: Top, Jose Bove, leader
> of French farmers held in the destruction of a McDonald's.
> Bottom, Coca-Cola being dumped in Belgium's tainting scare.
> (Associated Press)(pg. 3); American food is a focus of fears
> over globalization. A McDonald's after a protest in Cavaillon,
> France, last week. (Reuters); Farmers in Cavaillon, France, last
> week, protesting punitive American tariffs on French products.
> (Associated Press)
> ======#======

5)  The New York Times August 29, 1999 -New Trade Threat For U.S. Farmers
> BYLINE: By MELODY PETERSEN DATELINE: WASHINGTON, Aug. 27
BODY: American farmers paid
> [...]
> little uproar over the foods, the baby food makers Gerber and H.
> J. Heinz were the first large food companies to reject the new
> products. Then Iams, the pet food company, said it would not buy
> the seven varieties of gene-altered corn that have not been
> approved by European regulators. Iams's announcement shut down
> an alternative route that farmers had for that corn that
> exporters will not accept.
>
>    The agricultural industry has begun responding, with
> exporters trying to devise new methods to bridge the growing gap
> between farmers and consumers. A two-price system -- higher
> prices for conventional crops and lower prices for  genetically
> -altered crops -- is clearly developing. For example, this year,
> the Archer Daniels Midland Company has been paying some farmers
> an extra 18 cents for each bushel of non-altered soybeans.
>    The American Corn Growers Association, which represents
> mostly family farms, told its members last week that they should
> consider planting only conventional seeds next spring, unless a
> host of questions can be answered, including whether the United
> States will be able to export the  genetically  altered crops.
>    The National Corn Growers Association, which is about twice
> as big as the American Corn Growers Association, and has a
> financial partnership with Monsanto and some of the other
> agricultural companies, has not followed suit.    Susan Keith,
> the group's senior director for public policy, said that the
> association, which is based in St. Louis, was keeping farmers
> informed of what types of  genetically  altered corn could be
> the hardest to sell, but had not suggested that they consider
> planting only conventional seeds.    The worries about
> international trade have deepened farmers' fears of a bleaker
> economic future.
>    Prices for most crops are the lowest in 10 years, and farmers
> say they are concerned that grain prices are falling even
> further now that foreign consumers are turning away from
> genetically  altered crops. But experts say prices have mostly
> been affected by the larger harvests in other countries, which
> have reduced the demand for grain from the United States. In
> addition, the financial crisis in Asia caused exports to fall
> last year and prices to drop. And overproduction of some crops
> continues to hurt prices.
> For now, uncertainty about the next planting season is
> bedeviling the nation's farmers. They cannot predict where the
> next food backlash will surface and sometimes, even if they do,
> it is too late.
>    "It wasn't until May that farmers got word that Europe had
> not approved certain kinds of corn," Mr. Goldberg said. "By
> then, the corn was in the ground."
6) The Grocer August  28, 1999  LETTERS;This symbol  is discredited
BODY: Sir, In  selling its symbol, the Vegetarian Society  has discredited
by  bestowing approvals on products, ingredients,