Dangers of the Salicylates in Organic Food

Not obviously connected in any way to industrial ag:

Dangers of the Salicylates in Organic Food

- From: trdegreg@uh.edu

It has been brought to my attention that the opening ANON comments
about the dangers of the salicylates in organic food have a very
solid basis in fact and is "common knowledge" among dieticians who
advise patients with "acute sensitivity to salicylates" not to eat
"organic" food. One dietician states that "three most common causes
of food sensitivites (not allergies) are salicylates, amines, and
glutamates which are all found naturally in foods. They are found in
higher levels in organic foods because they are produced to protect
the plants."

I therefore wish to modify my comments about the study being
"trivial" to say that since the amounts are miniscule, the study is
trivial for those who need salicylates and contrary to the claims, it
is dangerous as noted in our posting for those with acute sensitivity
to salicylates. In other words, the study demonstrates the exact
opposite of what it claims and what is being claimed for it.

Below is the corrective communication which I received.

Tom
=======
Dear Tom,

I saw your comments about salicylates posted in the AGBIOVIEW. I
realize that the amounts of salicylates in the food seem trivial, but
they can have a great impact on people like myself with an acute
sensitivity to salicylates. These minutes amounts can mean the
difference for me between having a serving of vegetables every day or
only once a week.

When my problem was diagnosed my dietician told me not to eat organic
foods precisely because they contain higher amounts of salicylates.
She told me this 14 months ago, so it has been common knowledge among
dieticians. She said the three most common causes of food
sensitivites (not allergies) are salicylates, amines, and glutamates
which are all found naturally in foods. They are found in higher
levels in organic foods because they are produced to protect the
plants.

Thanks for working to provide a balanced picture of the current research.

Kind regards, Jean Brumbley, Research Assistant
Bureau of Sugar Experiment Stations, Indooroopilly, QLD Australia;