Benedikt Haerlin on Golden Rice

On 19 Feb 2001, at 22:07, ngin wrote:

Norfolk Genetic Information Network (ngin),
http://members.tripod.com/~ngin
---
"We already know today that most of the problems that are to be
addressed via Golden Rice and other GMOs can be resolved in
matter of
days, with the right political will." Hans Herren --- In case anyone
was in doubt: ... The London Independent February 17, 2001, Page
2
Letter to the Editor by Benedikt Haerlin

Sir: Greenpeace is opposed to the intentional release of genetically
modified organisms; that is the basis for all our campaigning in all
areas of genetic engineering.

Clearly the industry promoting a crop such as golden rice with
claims
that it could save millions of lives ('Greenpeace promises not to halt
trials of GM rice', 10 February) attempts to bring a moral dimension
into the debate. What was made clear by me at the press
conference in
Lyon, but sadly not widely reported, was that there is no evidence
that this invention can produce any beneficial effects. The average
person would have to consume a massive 9kg of cooked rice per
day to
prevent symptoms of vitamin deficiency, a figure confirmed by the
inventor of the product.

The acknowledgement that we have no plans to disrupt field trials of
golden rice is in no way a U-turn in our policy, but simply practical
recognition of the resources we have available for our work in the
Philippines. Golden rice has not been ruled out as a target for direct
action in the future.

BENEDIKT HAERLIN
Greenpeace International Genetic Engineering Campaign Coordinator
Berlin