Re: Is substantial equivalence scientific ?

See our webpages http://www.psrast.org/subeqow.htm and
http://www.psrast.org/subeqex.htm and links from these documents.

Sincerely,

Jaan Suurkula
PSRAST

At 19:52 1999-06-15 +0100, you wrote:
>It appears that in reviewing GM foods for consumption the relevant bodies
>look to see if the novel food is "substantially equivalent" to an existing
>natural product.
>
>Is there a definition of exactly what "substantially equivalent" means in
>terms of a genetically modified organism.
>
>I don't see how such a term can have any scientific meaning unless it
>relates to specific properties of the organism which can be measured. The
>word "substantially" also implies that there is some way of knowing if
>differences in the measured properties are significant or not.
>
>Perhaps somebody could shed some light on this. It would be particularly
>interesting if there were examples of foods that passed, failed and were
>considered as borderline against this test.
>

>Robert
>Robert@tiamat.sonnet.co.uk

Jaan Suurkula MD
Chairman

___
Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Application of Science and
Technology
                                   (PSRAST)
                            - A Global Network -

      E-mail: psrast@swipnet.se  Tel: +46-322622966  Fax: +46-322620944