substantial equivalence

I am trying to understand the scientific basis of the concept of
substantial equivalence (SE) as basis for transgenic food/feed safety
assessment and I am looking for answers to the questions below:

- is SE species-specific, or does it have to be established
  for every species consuming the food/feed?

- if I add 1 ppm (or even 1 ppb) of toxin to a food that is known
  to be safe, is there SE between the food with the toxin and the food
  without the toxin?

- does the WHO officially endorse SE for food safety assessment?
  (a reference to a WHO document would be appreciated)

I hope those who believe in the SE concept can clarify these issues
for me. Thanks a lot.

Roberto Verzola
Member, National Biosafety Committee
Philippines