Re: Patenting

Austin wrote;
>Let me just make it clear, lest you all think me mad, that I find the
>idea of patenting genes ridiculous. The idea of a patent is
>protection of intellectual property. Protection of your INVENTIONS.
>Discoveries, classically, have not been patentable.

You cannot patent atoms, but you can patent drugs which are just
collections of atoms.

The problem seems to be that we are uneasy about patenting something that
is alive.

Is a virus alive, or is it just a complex chemical ?

If you can patent a chemical, then why not a virus ?
If you can patent a virus then why not a more complex organism which you
have constructed ?

I don't know where I stand on patents, but they do expire!

Regards

Robert
Robert@tiamat.sonnet.co.uk