Patenting

Let me just make it clear, lest you all think me mad, that I find the
idea of patenting genes ridiculous. The idea of a patent is
protection of intellectual property. Protection of your INVENTIONS.
Discoveries, classically, have not been patentable.

Does anyone know if the patent application passed on to me by Herve,
for the Meningitis bug, was aqctually passed? I'd be really
interested in knowing.

I am a supporter of patenting of inventions, for the protection of
intellectual property. I DONT believe in the patenting of discovery.
Could you imagine if Newton had patented gravity? We'd all be in deep
****    ; )
Austin Tanney
School of Applied Biological
and Chemical Sciences