Re: GM Rating

I agree with your sentiment.  It would be very helpful to create some
kind of scale of "rate of genetic shift".  This is the core of the issue
in my understanding to date.  I think, however, that it would be a
fairly subjective scale at this stage; I have been asking this question
to genetic researchers for about 6 months now and there is definitely a
consensus within scientific circles as to how quickly they *feel*
evolution occurs, but attempts to identify a measured, natural threshold
of genetic change are still very much in their infancy.  Evolution does
not occur at a smooth rate - it comes in spurts, and explosions, and
trickles, and bubbles; it is as organic as the organisms it effects.  It
appears to me that it is similar to weather in its chaos.  For example,
your potato/fish scenario can certainly occur naturally (within a single
generation), but the odds are astronomically against it;  it is
infinitely more likely for the tomato to experience a subtle shift in a
protein expressing gene that results in a looser flesh.  It's a question
of rate of change combined with likelihood of change.  At this stage,
someone could give us their opinion - and it would be *infinitely* more
useful than current approaches to labeling - but it might be about as
accurate as a weather forecast and no one would agree on the authority
of the forecaster.

Labeling isn't the only issue at hand.  We need more informed discussion
and even if it were some kind of peer juried opinion, it would be
incredibly helpful if we had a reference measure.  In canada, the Canada
Food Inspection Agency is creating a database of genetic modifications
in food crops since the late 1800's.  I will try to devise a methodology
of rating the severity of each shift in strain.  However, the likelihood
of a given genetic shift is fundamentally effected by how widespread the
crop is; I will have to arrive at some way to neutrally deal with the
reality of monocultures.
Any ideas, anyone?

Trevor Lien.