Re: Fw: GMO=plant-expressed protectant !

The problem with genetically tampered food, and the reason why I am involved
in this movement, is that it potentially contaminates organic agriculture in
two ways: (1) pollen drift, and (2) pesticide/herbicide resistance. I have
researched many different brands of tofu, for example, and even when they are
"certified organic" they are unable to guarantee me that their sources are
not genetically tampered.

A large part of the movement against genetically tampered food is an effort
to segregate, label and inform the public. In the US, almost nobody knows
that they are eating genetically tampered food. As word is starting to get
out -- just in the last few weeks -- we are told endlessly that there is no
difference between genetic tampering and traditional crossbreeding. Consumers
can only be as powerful as their information and the availability of their
product. Genetically tampered milk, for example, is illegal in most parts of
the world, but US consumers have no idea they are consuming it, and the FDA
won't tell them, nor will the media, nor will their doctors.

- Nina

In a message dated 6/10/1999 11:13:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,