GMO=plant-expressed protectant !

Hi all,

I've just read the following report on the position of EPA to qualify GMO.

Of course they produce pesticide, but those nasty consumers might be reluctant
to eat persticide (though everybody tell them pesticides are safe).
Aren't they stupid ? Who has the real power ? citizens, consumers or
scientists ? Of course, the consumers may make demonstrations, but
scientist will have the very last word.

I'm not very religious, but the level is not science.
It's also religion at the etymological level :

religion comes from the latin : religare = link. It's the way we are linked one
to the other animals to human and to a lesser extent to bacteria.

Of course in a pure neoliberalism society evrybody is against everybody :
individualist society.

Do you know that still in latin, making war against some one was said :
making war WITH (I translate from the latin bellare).

And please I'm not promoting yogic fly. I'm just saying I do not share your
the basic assumption (scientist).

HLM

A PESTICIDE BY ANY OTHER
NAME? IT COULD BE A 'PLANT-EXPRESSED PROTECTANT'</color> May 31, 1999
Food & Regulation Weekly ENVIRONMENT      EPA's open invitation to
rename genetically engineered products, called "plant-pesticides" since
1994, attracted a broad variety of alternative suggestions. But
industry groups seem settled on "plant-expressed protectant" as their
preference.

     The National Cotton Council noted that 46% of U.S<bold>.</bold>
cotton acreage was planted last year with genetically modified
varieties. That percentage is expected to rise in the future, Keith
Menchey, NCC manager of science and environmental issues, told the
Environmental Protection Agency. "To the general public, the term
`pesticide' can evoke a negative reaction," said Menchey. "The public's
confidence in the safety of these new products could be eroded.
Furthermore, such negative perceptions might conceivably lead to
labeling requirements."  EPA offered to consider alternative names in
response to industry complaints that plant-pesticide is not an accurate
designation for an engineered pesticidal substance or the genetic
material necessary to produce it in a living plant (See Food Regulation
Weekly, April 26, Page 22).

    "The term `<bold>plant-expressed protectant'</bold> more accurately
describes the actual situation," Richard Stuckey, executive vice
president of the Council for Agricultural Science and Technology, told
EPA. Other alternatives might be acceptable to CAST, but its members
"would strongly object to any term that includes the word `pesticides'
in the title," Stuckey said.  Monsanto also endorsed the term
"plant-expressed protectant," casting its vote "as a leader in
biotechnology and one of the major registrants of
biotechnology-developed products.