Re: Update: BIOTECH, and other Euphemisms, MORE Power Words

Being confused by the purpose of your list I showed it to 9 friends who
are all food safty activists.  None of them understood the point
either.  Most felt that the alternatives you selected connoted the exact
same things - with the exception of the two "Franken"terms which have
been effective against GM foods in Europe but have actually helped the
GM industry in North America.

Many (most of the ones I meet) are opposed to GM foods in the EXACT same
way and for the EXACT same reasons as they are opposed to Novel
Crossbred foods.  They carry the exact same risks, produce the exact
same Frankenfoods, and are produced by the exact same companies; what
term should these people use (Other than "Frankenfoods", which doesn't
help their cause) if they want to talk about ALL biological research and
development?  Or if they want to talk about MultiNationals who are
involved in ALL biological research, not just recombinant food work?
The vast majority of BioResearch companies are not chemical companies;
only the biggest of them are in both fields - so one can not use the
term "Chemical Industry" without being deceiptful (Which some people
want to avoid).

There are definate historical and structural reasons for the meaning of
words.  A word like "Chemical" is literally distinct from "Biological"
and from "Genetic".  They all talk about different things and these
words have VERY well established meanings in the English language.  To
claim that we don't have enough grasp of language to distinguish between
them is to attack the validitiy of our position in the Food R&D debate.
"Biotech" is the Technology of Biology.  If you are trying to change
that meaning, we all look foolish.  Recently coined terms (Like
"Terminator") might have flexible meanings, but long established words
are less so.

Words that are in common vocabulary that might have associations with
Biotechnoloy are "bioHazard", "bioResearch", & "bioChemistry".  I don't
think many people have worse connotations for "Genetic"; look in the
dictionary, the only words close are "genetic Engineering", or "genetic
Testing".  No one I asked understood why you felt that the terms on the
right connote anything benign.

If your goal is to find words that elicit an opinion without thought
like "Frankenfood" does, then try to find something that implies an
inappropriateness - not well defined, neutral words like  technician,
engineer, chemistry, genetic, or Lab.

I, however, don't believe you need to resort to deceipt to achieve your
goals.  Let people think about the meanings of things.  If they mean ALL
biotechnology, let them use the word "Biotechnology".  If people like
yourself are speaking ONLY about a certain type of procedure like
crossbreeding, let them use the word "Crossbreeding". If you are only
talking about transgenic varieties, say "Transgenic".  If you are only
talking about the major transnational corporations which are marketing
chemicals paired with engineered crops, then say "transnational chemical
industry".  Anyone who knows enough about the issues to have a strong
opinion understands the terminology used to describe those issues.  We
don't need to try to confuse people to make our points.

Trevor Lien.