Re: B-GE: corn refuge spreads dominant Bt mutants

 NinaLynn@aol.com wrote Re: B-GE: corn refuge spreads dominant Bt mutants:
<snip>
> On the contrary, Mae-Wan Ho cites many studies demonstrating
> that genetic material responds to a changed environment, and that
> in fact the entire population of organisms creates alterations in
> the genome that are needed for survival. A familiar example is
> the development of antibiotic resistance in our own bodies. All
> of our cells change to be resistant to the antibiotic, and the
> change doesn't reverse itself once it happens.

Nina, you've talked about the development of antibiotic
resistance in humans before, but I've never been sure what you
say makes sense.  My understanding is that antibiotics act on
pathogens in the body, and that it is the pathogens which develop
resistance to them, not the host.

If someone's body harbors pathogens that are resistant to
antibiotics, it means taking an antibiotic will not be as
effective in curing the infection caused by the pathogens; it
does not mean the body itself has become resistant to the
antibiotic.

But perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.  Could you explain what you
mean by "our cells change to be resistant to the antibiotic"?
What is it, exactly, that you are claiming the cells are
resisting, what action of the antibiotic on the body's cells?
And could you cite some research showing that this is the case?

+      Judy Stein  *  The Author's Friend  *  jstein@panix.com     +