For Activists/Journalists -- GE Power Words to Use: Controlling the Language

For Activists/Journalists -- GE Euphemisms and
More-Accurate Alternative Power Words to Use:
Controlling the Language

The genetic engineering industry has done everything possible
to confuse people by using the words "Biotech" and "Biotechnology"
to include any type of experimentation with plants and crops.

This rice strain (article below) looks to be produced by
conventional hybridization, which uses reproduction --
hence Nature is involved. That's not direct invasive
genetic engineering. Hence this rice is ok.

Monsanto, Novartis, etc. know very well that the terms
"Biotechnology" and "Biotech" can mean production of any biological
product: drugs, food additives,
food created through genetic engineering, AND food created
through ok crossbreeding and hybridization. So, in an on-going
effort to define themselves in a positive yet vague light,
and in order to hide what's really
going on, (GE of the food supply)
THEY ALMOST ALWAYS USE THESE WORDS. So it seems we
should never use these words. Make them use our words.
Look how successful the "terminator" seed term was.
At first, that was a term only used by activists.
In time, even Monsanto ended up using it !!
So this is very, very realistic.
And congratulations on the success of the term
"Frankenstein food." I am suggesting an extension of
those two great successes.

So please don't play into the hands of Monsanto, Novartis
and the rest of the GE industry. Please don't use their words
of choice when you mean Genetic Engineering or
Genetically Engineered food.

Peter Michael Ligotti

Please use these words:                     Please avoid these words:

Genetic Engineers
GE Industry
Genetic Engineering Industry                Biotech Industry
Chemical Industry                           Biotech Companies
Genetic Engineering/Chemical Industry       Biotech Multi-nationals
Genetic Engineering Companies               Biotechnology
Genetic Engineering Multi-nationals         Biotechnologists
Frankenstein Food Industry                  Biotech food scientists
Frankenfood Industry                        Food scientists
Genetic engineering
Genetic manipulation
Genetically engineered food
Genetically manipulated food