Re: GM foods on sale not a health risk!!

Nina,
    I take offense to your incessant attacks on people who work for regulatory
agencies. I used to work for the U.S. EPA, and I did some risk assessment work
on transgenic plants. I, however, have never worked in the biotech industry and
currently do not work in the biotech industry. Not everyone in the government
is out to get you. In fact, many of us worked hard on trying to protect people.
Remember, the federal agencies can only act when directed by Congress. If you
are unhappy with current regulations, then take it up with Congress!! The EPA,
FDA, and USDA have no official biotech laws to follow when assessing these
products and have essentially been forced to bend current laws, such as FIFRA
(which was intended for chemicals), to somehow include the topic of GMOs. The
EPA, FDA, and USDA are all operating on the "substantial equivalency" rule
written in 1987 by a National Academy of Sciences panel.  It is a poor
substitute for proper legislation; it leaves the agencies' rules open to
attack; and it does not serve the risk assessment process very well. Unless the
new NAS panel releases different findings from the 1987 panel or unless
Congress gets involved, don't expect the agencies to do too much. EPA, in
particular, does not have the authority to regulate many of these products.
Considering that they are not allowed to look at the "method of creation" and
only at the end product, it's surprising they've been able to regulate any GMOs
at all.