Re: reply to archive 1112

Nina,
    Be careful with what you are calling arable land. Land that is being grazed
for cattle may or may not be arable. One of the things that has been learned the
hard way in the U.S. is that some land should not be cultivated; its ecology is
too fragile. Our semi-arid and arid regions are good examples of this.
Furthermore, while some land may be arable, it may not receive enough rainfall to
make it sustainably arable. Such land would require irrigation, which often
brings its own problems. Grazing, when done in a well-planned and managed way,
allows us to use unarable land to produce food. While I agree that much of the
arable land, in the U.S., is used for growing crops for livestock feed. Our
society, however, has chosen to be a meat-eating society and until we, as a
society, decide to change that aspect of our lifestyles, that land used for
growing livestock feed will essentially remain out of reach for production of
human feed.