Re: Labelling

Hello,

Some of us who support labeling do so in order to enable our right to
choose, not to enable Rick's right to choose for us what should or should
not be labeled.Perhaps this is a fundamental difference among us.

Mark Ritchie

At 10:22 AM 5/17/99 +0930, Rick Roush wrote:
>Based on our privaet posts, Nina asked that I publicise my comments on
>labelling.  I offer the following:
>
>I haven't argued against labelling, it's fine with me.  Again, the one
>exception I would make is for Bt cotton. Cotton seed oil has no DNA or
>protein (something I have said here several times without challenge),
>whatever the source, GE or not GE (so there is no legitimate human health
>risk), and labelling (and the segregation that would be required) might be
>a disincentive for people to use it.  I cannot in good conscience support
>labelling of cotton seed oil if an outcome is increased risks to farm
>workers and their families.
>
><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>The address for any administrative command like unsubscribe,
>subscribe or help is:
>
>              GENTECH-REQUEST@gen.free.de
>
>The searchable WWW list archive is available at
>
>              http://www.gene.ch/archives.html

Mark Ritchie, President
Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
2105 First Ave. South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55404  USA
612-870-3400 (phone) 612-870-4846 (fax)
mritchie@iatp.org     www.iatp.org