human trials, archive 1218

Is the basic physiology of humans greatly different from animals?  Why then
must we value human trials above those on animals?

I'd be happy to participate in human trials of GE foods, and was likely one
of the first to eat Bt vegetables including raw.  However, rats are more
often used (as by Pusztai) because when the trial is over, you can dissect
them and look for the most minute problems.  When do you dissect the
digestive system of humans?  Animal models are not only cheaper and more
convenient, they allow greater detail.

                        *PLEASE NOTE THE ADDITION OF AN "8" TO OUR NUMBERS*
Richard T. Roush
Associate Professor and Director          Phone +61 8 8303-6590
Centre for Weed Management Systems        FAX   +61 8 8303-7125
Waite Institute                                                  ;-_|\
University of Adelaide                                          /     \
Glen Osmond 5064                                               (       )
South Australia                                                 \_;-*_/
AUSTRALIA                                                           | v

                                                                Adelaide,
                                                             South Australia

Cooperative Research Centre for Weed Management Systems:
http://www.waite.adelaide.edu.au/CRCWMS/

"Weeds - Australia's most underestimated environmental threat"