debate: let's have the facts first, please

I'd like to thank Taunja Palmer-Stone <tpalmer_stone@hotmail.com> for
the note below. At least that's one thing established (until someone's
search turns up something): NO SCIENTIFIC STUDIES HAVE TESTED GE FOOD
ON HUMAN SUBJECTS. So, any claim by industry that GE foods are safe
for human consumption is so far an untested hypotheses.

----------------

Roberto,

I have searched the following databases for human trials with genetically
modified food.  There were no human studies.  I still have  several
databases to search, but I would imagine that there are no human trials
since the biotech industry has effectively convinced the regulatory agencies
in North America that these products are "substantially" equivalent to the
unmodified foods.

Therefore there has been no requirement for human trials (at least none that
are published).  The mere existence of human trials would suggest that there
is a question of risk associated with these foods which would be bad PR.

Databases:
Best Evidence
Bioethics Line
CancerLit
CINAHL
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
HealthSTAR
Embase
Eric
Medline

Taunja
Biotechnologist in search of an ethical job :)