Fwd: B-GE: Another from Monsanto's web site

-- BEGIN included message

Friends,

In reading the excerpt from the below post, I was struck by the following
quote:

    "One, the new technology is unavoidable, and it's here to stay. Reverting
    to old technologies that fed a much smaller world population would be
    impossible..."

Here again is one of the primary save-the-world refrains of the GE chorus,
ringing like the sound of tree-frogs into the background as an unquestioned
truism.

While I have seen many articles indicating REDUCED yields from GAF crops,
as well as various other faux pas, I have not seen anyone touting the
vastly increased yields, or even moderately increased yields, that might
justify this claim.  So far, the actual result appears to be more in the
direction of a vastly increased consumption of Roundup, Liberty, Basta, etc.

To my knowledge there is not a single peer-reviewed empirical study
demonstrating the SAFETY of genetically altered foods (GAFs).  Is this also
true of the VASTLY INCREASED YIELDS that are being so constantly trumpeted
as our salvation?

Thanks,

Matt Hodges

At 08:56 PM 5/13/99 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
insects
>    and herbicides. It could also enable a plant to manipulated as a
>    chemical "factory" producing a whole new range of oils, plastics,
>    cheese starters or vaccines. Improved shelf life of fruit and vegetables
>    was also possible.
>    Set against those benefits, serious environmental issues were being
>    created as genetically-engineered crops were released into the
>    environment. The public needed to understand those issues.
>    The next flash-point was likely to centre on American chemical giant
>    Monsanto, which had just applied to grow Roundup-ready canola in New
>    Zealand on a commercial scale.
>    So-called "classical" agriculture was reliant on the use of herbicides
>    keep weeds down and increase yields. That was fine with cereal crops
>    threatened by broadleaf weeds, because in those cases, selective
>    herbicides against those weeds were very effective.
>    But with crops such as soya bean or canola, it wasn't that easy. In the
>    case of canola, the classical technique was to use a triazine- type
>    herbicide to control the weeds, but that had "appalling" residue
>    problems. Large areas of cropping land in the United States were now
>    contaminated.
>    "So we have to decide if it is better to continue using triazine- based
>    herbicides, or to use Roundup-ready variety of canola, where the crop
>    has been given a resistance to the herbicide," she said.
>    Prof Jameson said the debate about genetically-modified plants versus
>    classical plant breeding had become almost immaterial, because the real
>    issue was about managing the crop in the field. Irrespective of how the
>    herbicide-resistant plant was developed -- either by classical or
genetic
>    engineering techniques -- the import issue was about preventing that
>    resistance transferring out to wild relatives. "And that is about crop
>    management, not how you developed the plant."
>    So could a genetically-modified plant become a weed? Not with
>    domesticated crop plants now used in the developed world, says Prof
>    Jameson, because such plants had lost their ability to disperse seed,
>    and most of their dormancy mechanisms. Also lost was the ability to
>    respond to the season, and control when they should flower.
>    Placing into such plants a gene for herbicide resistance, drought
>    tolerance or even longer shelf life would not give back to that plant
any
>    characteristic that could aid its survival in the wild.
>    In addition, crop plants generally came from the green revolution era;
>    they required high fertility and good water. "So if such a crop was
>    dispersed into the wild, they would end up in a low-fertility and
drought
>    situation -- they would be competed against by weedy species that were
>    better adapted to those conditions."
>    So what about the escape of the gene itself, into a wild relative?
Here, it
> [...]
>    placed into the chloroplast genome, they would not be attached to the
>    pollen, and they could not get out into the wild.
>    Prof Jameson said it was critically important for New Zealand to be
field
>    testing genetically-modified plants within contained environments. Plant
>    variants arose during the breeding process, it was standard practice to
>    select for those variants.
>    "But we can't select for all the traits in a genetically-modified
plant by
>    growing it in a contained glasshouse. We must put plants out into the
>    environment, where they are subjected to the full suite of environmental
>    stresses, which includes high UV rates. This is unique to New Zealand.
>    "Plants respond to stress by producing different compounds some of
>    which could be toxic. So if we don't know where the gene goes in, it
>    might disturb various biosynthetic pathways, including those associated
>    with stress. We would be making an assumption to presume we could
>    bring in northern hemisphere plants and they would respond in exactly
>    the same way."
>    Associate professor Brian Jordan, who heads Massey University's
>    nutrition and health cluster, says genetically engineered foods were
>    rapidly entering the market, and the testing of such food products was
>    extensive. Where the media had seized on issues like the cauliflower
>    mosaic virus, which was used as a promoter to permanently switch on a
>    particular gene, allegations that it could also transfer a virus were
false,
>    because it had been so well characterised. "It is not considered to be a
>    problem at all, but if the media want to bring it up, it's an issue."
>    Prof Jordan said the it was enzyme action that genetic engineers were
>    most interested in -- the ability to change the DNA so that enzyme
>    activity was changed. That changed activity could change the
>    composition of a product such as the oils or carbohydrates within the
>    plant. "The food industry can then take that changed product away from
>    the process of genetic engineering -- it is simply a product, which many
>    people fail to understand."
>    Prof Jordan said by 2050 the world's population would double the
>    present level. The existing population could be fed by existing
supplies --
>    any shortages could be attributed to distribution problems -- however
>    solving those distribution problems could not solve hunger problems
>    when the population reached 11 billion.
>    At the moment, 30-40 percent of crops were lost to diseases. If those
>    diseases could be tackled through genetic engineering, and major
>    benefit could be gained. In addition, the total land area under cropping
>    could be increased by giving stress and salt tolerance to particular
>    plants.
>    "This technology is so powerful, and we're only just begining," Dr
Jordan

send email to Ban-GEF@lists.txinfinet.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.

----
For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the Ban-GEF list, send email to Ban-GEF@lists.txinfinet.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.