Re: reply to archive 1112

Not true, Mr. Roush! You could grow your transgenic crops in your own
personal garden with mile-high fences to ensure that no cross-pollination
occurs with anybody else's crops. You could also do the genetic engineering
in highly secured laboratories where no waste matter is allowed to exit.
Then, those of you who enjoy eating mutated plants can have your day!

The difference with medicines, you see, is that in the case of medicines
there is the issue of informed consent. I, as a patient, may refuse
recombinant drugs or vaccines after having been appropriately informed of the
issues. Also, there is a risk/benefit tradeoff -- these drugs may address a
life-threatening condition and I may be willing to take the risk.

Neither of these cases is true with regard to transgenic crops. There is no
informed consent and there is no justifiable risk/benefit issue, as there are
lots of other things for people to eat. There is more than enough food to
feed the world -- people are hungry because they can't afford to buy the food
that is there. There is more than enough land to grow the food on -- 50% of
the world's arable land mass is being used for cattle grazing, and a lot of
the remaining arable land is used to grow crops for feeding livestock. And,
of course, most of those cattle are consumed by the developing countries.
There is also no evidence that transgenic crops increase yield, despite the
claims of the biotechnology companies. At best, they address the issue of
pesticides and herbicides.

I have had to stop eating tofu, one of my favorite foods, because I have been
unable to find a guaranteed GMO-free source of it. The tofu companies "don't
know" and "can't guarantee". This is an unconsented-for imposition on my
lifestyle for which I find Monsanto responsible.

- Nina Moliver

In a message dated 5/10/1999 10:23:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,