Re: Maybe Monsanto will help with food

Nick and Chris, I really value your concern for the under-privileged
Indians.

We have in fact always been treated like that. A couple of years back,
Cornell
University was offering us free of cost its banana vaccine technology.
Their
benevolence stemmed from the fact that they badly needed a field
laboratory for
tests. Otherwise, each of the cutting-edge technology comes with a
patent and
huge royalties to be paid !

The Dutch had even tried to solve their problem of ground water
contamination
from cowdung and piggery droppings by shipping it to India, and that too
in the
name of enhancing soil fertility. The export was to be subsidised by the
EU and
had the blessings of the World Bank. It was after strong public protests
that
the plan was finally shelved.

Devinder Sharma