Re: Safety

Bill,

Sorry for my hasty answer this morning. Thank you for the reference, it is
useful. This article to which you refer is a study of the toxicity of the
pesticide itself. It is not a study of the toxicity of a genetically
engineered food crop.

The working assumption of the FDA and the EPA are that the only
considerations needed are whether the invading organism itself creates
toxicity or allergenicity. They do not ask the questions of what other
effects are created when expression viruses, antibiotic resistance markers,
novel proteins, and so forth are introduced during the process of the genetic
alteration, nor what are the long term effects of consuming a food whose
genetic material has been invaded, altered, weakened or damaged. For example,
how much energy does the plant consume in coping with an alien element in its
genetic material, one that naturally has no place there? What are the effects
of the ongoing expression of a gene that happens when a virus is introduced
to ensure that nonstop expression? Does it drain the rest of the plant of its
nutritional value or vitality?

In the software industry, one ~starts~ with the assumption that if something
can go wrong, it will. Any change whatsover in the computer code, however
small, requires "regression testing" of the entire system. The impact of a
small change can be felt thousands of miles of code away. And these are
human-made systems. All the zeroes and ones are known. We know about 5-10% of
the mapping of the human genome, and when we are done mapping it, we will
find out how little we know about the rest of it! Just as we used to think we
knew all about the atom, and now we know that the more we learn about it, the
less we understand how it really works. This is basic quantum mechanics. The
genome is far more complicated than the atom, because it is living stuff. Who
are these people who think they can shoot a gene into a genome, track where
it lands, and assume a priori that the altered system needs no regression
testing?

- Nina Moliver

In a message dated 5/11/1999 5:57:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,