Re: reply to archive 1112

For me, the important point here is that Dr. Pusztai did his study because he
was unable to find even one independent, peer-reviewed scientific publication
demonstrating the safety of even one genetically engineered food crop on the
basis of a feeding study.

Since then, another expert reported the same thing to me: that there has been
no such study that he is aware of.

I have seen numerous people malign the supposedly "bad science" of  Dr.
Pusztai, yet when I have asked them to cite me one independent, peer-reviewed
scientific publication demonstrating the safety of even one genetically
engineered food crop on the basis of a feeding study, they have failed to do
so.

I encourage anyone who knows of such a study to cite one here. I would
appreciate being disproved on this issue. Let us remember, of course, that
the burden of proof lies on the people who seek to introduce these products
to prove them safe, not on the public to prove them dangerous while they are
already on the supermarket shelves.

And, of course, ~independent~ means not sponsored by a biotechnology company
and also independent of governmental regulatory agencies, whose agents are
frequently recruited from the biotechnology industry. I have posted this
request before and gotten back a Monsanto-sponsored study and a statement of
FDA policy.

-- Nina Moliver

In a message dated 5/12/1999 11:02:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,