Nina on evolution, archive 1140

Nina:

Like your response to me about reductionism, your views on evolution as
revealed now in two email messages are clearly out of the mainstream if not
bizarre.  I used to think that Mae-Wan Ho was about the last person to
believe in this old Marxist view that genetic material responds to a
changed environment. Geneticists dispute whether this happens at all, but
at least such cases are rare.   I must tell you that the theory that
evolution from greater reproductive advantages from randomly generated
mutations (only some of which are recessive) is far from discredited, and
that the evolution of resistance is probably the clearest example.

I'll get to the Science article later.

Rick

                        *PLEASE NOTE THE ADDITION OF AN "8" TO OUR NUMBERS*
Richard T. Roush
Associate Professor and Director          Phone +61 8 8303-6590
Centre for Weed Management Systems        FAX   +61 8 8303-7125
Waite Institute                                                  ;-_|\
University of Adelaide                                          /     \
Glen Osmond 5064                                               (       )
South Australia                                                 \_;-*_/
AUSTRALIA                                                           | v

                                                                Adelaide,
                                                             South Australia

Cooperative Research Centre for Weed Management Systems:
http://www.waite.adelaide.edu.au/CRCWMS/

"Weeds - Australia's most underestimated environmental threat"