Re: [Fwd: BT effects on soil microorganisms]]

Wytze:
I did not see your original post. I will have to check the references you
have cited, if I can obtain them. I'd also like to ask for more information
to look into the March international meeting of entomologists, such as the
names of a few participants who might be able to provide details on the
conclusions cited.

In the meantime, when I wrote  "I doubt that anyone on this server has
spent even 1% of the time and money that I have on this problem", I meant
the problem of insecticide use in cotton production.

I am glad that you are scrutinizing the potential use of Bt cotton.  Again,
I emphasise that since there is no DNA or protein in cotton seed oil once
it has been processed for food, there are NO human health risks, only
potential benefits from reduced exposure of farm workers to pesticides.  So
far as I can see, the only real concern is the potential for resistance in
the pests.

For those who like me worry about this, may I ask for your help in doing
something about the use of Bt sprays as the cause of widespread resistance
in diamondback moth?

So long as you are considering all of this, allow me to ask you to consider
something else. Even if Bt toxins persist somewhat in the soil, the key
question is the relative impacts of Bt transgenic crops (especially cotton)
compared to pesticide sprays, which can also persist in the soil and are
much less selective.  The selectivity and short persistance of Bt sprays is
only helpful if people use Bt sprays.  The hard facts are that Bt sprays
are too expensive to produce, and are thus amount to only 1% of the total
insecticide market.

I am also very busy, so further replies may take several days.

Rick