Re: re cotton, archives 1125

Devinder Sharma replies:

I don't think anybody who is on the gentech list will not vote for
saving lives over principles. But the fact is that not many of us have
our research projects sponsored by private companies, including
biotechnology seed companies. And so we do not have to speak for these
companies.

It was sometimes in 1945 that the TIME magazine had a cover story,
titled something like this " I love DDT". Thirty years later the
chemical was banned by many industrialised countries and today no one
wants to talk about it. Why should we repeat the mistake again. After
all, the negative impact of transgenics will appear on the horizon much
quicker than what happened with DDT. And in the case of DDT, it was a
chemical molecule, in case of transgenic it is a living gene. Why invite
a 'biological treadmill' when there is no desperate cry for it anywhere
in the world ?

Let us get back to the cotton story. In India, the average landholding
size is 0.2 hectares. Not all farmers in a given area can afford to use
Bt-resistant cotton seed or use Bt sprays. With such small holdings and
with the kind of diversity in cotton varieties prevalent within a given
area, Bt-resistance is only going to invite problems. Resistance will
appear in the bollworms much faster than anywhere else in the world. And
so will be the gene flow.

Indian farmers, including cotton growers are already under huge debt.
And let us not forget, agriculture in India operates to quite an extent
on the principles of demand and supply. Unlike in Australia and the
west, where farm prices go up substantially with every harvest (thanks
to the massive subsidies being pumped in the farm sector), Indian
farmers receive no such financial cushion. Prices slump drastically when
the cotton harvest is bumper and vice versa. So it is wrong to expect
the Indian farmers to get out of the debt trap by using Bt-resistant
crops. Mercifully, Bt-resistat crops are still in the field trials and
have not reached the farmers !

There was a time when every economist worth the name would swear by the
Tiger economies of the Southeast Asian countries. Now, none of them want
to even acknowledge the fact that they were strong supporters of the
Asian tigers. I see a great similarity in the ongoing debate on genetic
engineering. Agricultural scientists too are behaving like the
neo-classic economists, and therein lies a grave danger. It is time we
began to see reasoning and also learn from our past mistakes. Merely
repeating what we did with DDT is only going to exacerbate the crisis
and thereby put food security at terrible risk.

I too am for saving the lives of poor farmers in the Third World. But I
am certainly against promoting the financial interests of the biotech
companies. We certainly cannot allow half a dozen executives sitting in
a board room to take profit-oriented decisions in the name of farmers
and the civil society. And then walk away with the profits while the
rest of the world gets busy with the clean-up act !