Date: 9 May 1999 04:46:38 -0000
From: Ezentrix@aol.com
Subject: Re: gentech-d Digest V99 #90
To: gentech-d-request@gen.free.de

 To Rick Roush and the Gentec Tribe

This is a post from Digest #90.  I am always a bit behind but I have read all
the posts for two years now.  I know Rick as a person who constantly presents
rational intellectual defenses of Corporate Monopolism and Unsafe Sex in the
sense of careless gene exchange.  This is always done with The
Rationalization that all of this GMO stuff is needed by the rest of us
because it will reduce the poisoning of mother earth by  pesticides and
herbicides while fighting the bad weeds that invade monocultural centralized
agricukultural commodity production.  These bad plants that the creator made,
are actually daring to express their need for life at the expense of
corporate profits.  So these monopolists sell an ever high tech solution to
natural problems.   This is not to dismiss the mayhem committed on local
ecostructures by invading exotic species.  But GMO's do not ever consider
this, especially since they are exotic invading species.  Instead we get
products that are made to sell the parent companies herbicide be it mutant Bt
or Glyphosphate.  Now the last pretext that this is "feed the world - heal
the world technology", is gone.   Monsanto casually tells us that if they
create  mutants in our environment, all we have to do is spray them with more
chemicals be they herbicides or pesticides.    This seems like a strange path
to less chemical contamination and " feeding the world" as the Prez of
Monsanto likes to gush.  So Rick, I ask you this in a good way - Explain how
this quoted article fits your vision of a better world for all of the people
and species that the creator has made.

Kind Regards

Richard Jennings
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
aka ezentrix@aol.com

INDEPENDENT (London) April 25

Monsanto admits superweed danger
By Marie Woolf

Monsanto, one of the pioneers of genetically engineering food, has admitted
that GM crops can crossbreed with native plants, creating hybrids resistant
to some weedkillers.   A senior Monsanto director has also conceded that
insects are capable of developing a resistance to plants genetically
engineered to kill them.  Gary Barton, director of biotechnology
communications for Monsanto in the United States, told the Independent on
Sunday that "resistance can  develop" but that "superweeds"  hybrid plants
resistant to insecticide   were not an issue since they could always be
sprayed with other  weedkillers to which they were not resistant.

----- End forwarded message -----