Re: re cotton, archive 1122

>From what I understood about the suicide among Indian farmers it was caused
because they started to grow cotton in places that were not fit for cotton.
Unfortunately this phenomena seems to be not limited to western countries.
Growing the wrong crops in the wrong places is a major cause of agricultural
problems. In that case, Bt-cotton is no solution. I am not sure that Bt-crops
eliminate the use of chemical input. From what I understood still other
pesticides are being applied on these crops. The fact that after three years of
Bt crops no resistance has shown up is not such a great achievement (if it is
true, because i heard other rumours) If in 27 years this can still be said
about the Bt crops, their performance would start to approach the performance
of Bt sprays.