GMO vaccines + jumping gene from plants to man

Hi all,

I found a ref (first here down) that seems (according to my beotian
understanding of biology) to say that the guys have exeprimented a
GM potato that triggers the immune system of mices because of a protein that is
a toxin for mankind (not so kind for all !).
This could make beleieve taht pro-OGM will have in some years at least
one argument
serious. What do you think of it ?

Second : the following ref. deals with (i'm less sure) the fact that a gene
could come from  "higher plants" and remain in the genome of mankind.
Do I understand well ?

Sorry to ask for questions, but I have more questions than answers.

Yours
HLM
Nat Med 1998 May;4(5):607-9

Immunogenicity in humans of a recombinant bacterial antigen delivered in a
transgenic potato.

Rev Rhum Engl Ed 1997 Jun;64(6):368-74

CENP-B autoantigen is a conserved protein from humans to higher plants:
identification of the aminoterminal domain in Phaseolus vulgaris.

Barbosa-Cisneros O, Fraire-Velazquez S, Moreno J, Herrera-Esparza R

Centro de Biologia Experimental, Universidad Autonoma de Zacatecas, Guadalupe,
Mexico.

Centromeres are critical structures in cell division, and CENP-B is the most
important protein of the centromeric complex recognized
by autoantibodies from patients with scleroderma. Our major aim was to
demonstrate whether CENP-B is a conserved protein along the
phylogenic scale including the higher plants. Vegetal and human cell proteins
were extracted from Phaseolus vulgaris and HEp-2 cells
and were characterized by PAGE, Western blot, and human autoimmune sera
containing anti-CENP-B autoantibodies. The
aminoterminus of the gene encoding for CENP-B from HEp-2 cells and Phaseolus
vulgaris was isolated by reverse transcriptase-PCR
using complementary oligonucleotides to the human CENP-B gene. Also, in situ
hybridization was performed on vegetal tissues and
HEp-2 cells using human CENP-B box probes. Our main results were as follows: 1)
Autoimmune sera were reactive to a vegetal protein
of 80 kDa. 2) Affinity-purified anti-CENP-B antibodies recognized a protein from
Phaseolus vulgaris with molecular mass similar to
that found in human cells. Vegetal and HEp-2 cells CENP-B proteins were
immunologically identical. 3) Using RT-PCR, we were able
to amplify a cDNA encoding for the aminoterminus domain of CENP-B from Phaseolus
vulgaris that had the same molecular behaviour
as the cDNA from HEp-2 cells. 4) Complementary oligonucleotides for human CENP-B
box hybridized a DNA sequence from
Phaseolus vulgaris. In conclusion, CENP-B protein is a conserved protein along
the phylogenic scale from humans to higher plants.

PMID: 9513608, UI: 98174794