Re: 100% Total Worldwide Ban of Genetically Engineered Foods, May 1, 1999 Update

Though I yesterday wrote that I support the idea of testing I would like to make
some more comments on this.
There are a few points that will make it very difficult to come to this point of
having research done that would be acknowledged by both parties. First,  Dr.
Pusztai was someone who was trusted by industry, until he came with results that
were not so much appreciated, to say it mildly. For years, industry has used Dr.
Pusztai's studies in order to get permission for field trials with specific
lectins. I think that industry still has to make a major apology to Dr. Pusztai.
Dr. Pusztai and his team would be one of the few teams that have the skill,
expertise and credibility to perform such research, as far as I am concerned.
Second: it will be very difficult to establish what exactly would be required to
have testing that would be acknowledged by both sides. I know that suggestions are
made to test GE food as thoroughly as medicines. I object to this since it is
exactly in the field of medicines where after thorough testing almost always side
effects in certain groups of people (or animals) show up.
Third: it may remain doubtful that all possible effects can ever be determined, no
matter how many tests are being performed.
wytze