Re: Monsanto's expanding monopolies into water supply

The similarities between Monsanto and Microsoft are growing, becoming more
and more absurd.

>From  http://www.theonion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html :

Microsoft patents Ones and Zeros

      REDMOND, WA--In what CEO Bill Gates called "an unfortunate but necessary
step to protect our intellectual property from theft and exploitation by
competitors," the Microsoft Corporation patented the numbers one and zero
Monday.

      With the patent, Microsoft's rivals are prohibited from manufacturing or
selling products containing zeroes and ones--the mathematical building blocks
of all computer languages and programs--unless a royalty fee of 10 cents per
digit used is paid to the software giant.

      "Microsoft has been using the binary system of ones and zeroes ever since
its inception in 1975," Gates told reporters. "For years, in the interest of
the overall health of the computer industry, we permitted the free and
unfettered use of our proprietary numeric systems. However, changing
marketplace conditions and the increasingly predatory practices of certain
competitors now leave us with no choice but to seek compensation for the use
of our numerals."
[...]
      As a result of the Microsoft patent, many other companies have begun
radically revising their product lines: Database manufacturer Oracle has
embarked on a crash program to develop "an abacus for the next millennium."
Novell, whose communications and networking systems are also subject to
Microsoft licensing fees, is working with top animal trainers on a
chimpanzee-based message-transmission system. Hewlett-Packard is developing
a revolutionary new steam-powered printer.

      Despite the swarm of protest, Gates is standing his ground, maintaining
that ones and zeroes are the undisputed property of Microsoft.
[...]
      In an address beamed live to billions of people around the globe Monday,
Gates expressed confidence that his company's latest move will, ultimately,
benefit all humankind.

      "Think of this as a partnership," Gates said. "Like the ones and zeroes
of the binary code itself, we must all work together to make the promise of
the computer revolution a reality. As the world's richest, most powerful
software company, Microsoft is number one. And you, the millions of consumers
who use our products, are the zeroes."