Toxicology testing of food

New Scientist 17 April 1999 This week on p.18-19 carries an article about toxicology testing of food.  According to the article nobody has ever tested normal food for toxicity because it is not possible to consume sufficient to arrive at an LD50.  While we know some components of foods are extremely toxic the mixture of natural, added and genetically fiddled needs to be taken into account.  Perhaps, because food can't be tested, we are expected to be the experiment.  Ethics are somewhat lacking and I don't believe the population should be an experiment so that industry can make more profits.  It GE food cannot be satisfactorily tested it should never hit the marketplace.

Dorothy M. Bowes (Mrs)
asehaqld@powerup.com.au