Reply to Dirk Thomsen, archive 844

Dear Dirk:

I have written about this before on the list, but perhaps it was before you
subscribed. Farmers need virus, insect and some (but not all!!) kinds of
herbicide resistant crops to reduce their environmental impacts and health
risks.  There has been and continues to be a huge effort to develop
non-chemical controls, but the thin profitability of some farming systems
(and intractability of the pests) makes this very difficult.  In the case
of weeds, the key issue is that herbicides have proven to be much cheaper
and easier on soil erosion than alternative controls.

Monsanto and all other companies are obviously obligated first and foremost
to look after the interests of their stock holders.  However, at least
Monsanto and I think also Novartis have given some technology to less
developed countries. An example is technology for virus resistant potatoes
to Mexico. However, I also find the feed the world line to be speculative,
and assume that the main reason Monsanto adopts it is to counter some of
the even more ludicrous claims of many of its opponents.

Rick