None

From: "Clive Elwell" <jevans@thenet.co.nz>
To: "gentech" <gentech@gen.free.de>
Subject: Repression and Dr Pusztai
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:45:36 +1300

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01BE6047.64CDB560

Eastern Daily Press on 16/2/98

>  Scientist must not be gagged
>
>  BRIAN BAXTER, Lime Kiln Cottage, Swaffham.
>
>  Recently I spent some time in the company of Dr Arpad Pusztai and =
during
>the whole time I spoke to him I was impressed by his knowledge, his
>sincerity, his clear thinking, his good humour and his honesty. He was, =
in
>my humble opinion, a very good man in every sense of the word.
>
>  During our conversation he told me of his work in the past under
>different totalitarian regimes, all of which in their day were very
>repressive. However, when he said that none of them, even Stalinist =
Russia,
>had treated him with the repression that he has received in this =
country
>over recent months it made me realise that we have much to be ashamed =
of.

>  It would appear for instance that no scientist is allowed to disclose =
any
>discovery without it being passed by those in authority above. In other
>words truth is no longer acceptable if it goes against the ideas or =
ideals
>of those in power This is surely a disgrace to our nation as is the =
gagging
>order which Dr Arpad Pusztai is still under.
>
>  Our Prime Minister has stated that the best way forward in the debate =
on
>GM food is on the basis of scientific evidence, then surely Dr Arpad
>Pusztai's evidence of the harm done to rats when fed on GM potatoes =
should
>be evidence enough that everyone should proceed with more caution =
before
>any of this food appears, if at all, in our diets.

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01BE6047.64CDB560

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Eastern Daily Press on 16/2/98<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; Scientist must =
not be=20
gagged<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; BRIAN BAXTER, Lime Kiln Cottage,=20
Swaffham.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; Recently I spent some time in the =
company of Dr=20
Arpad Pusztai and during<BR>&gt;the whole time I spoke to him I was =
impressed by=20
his knowledge, his<BR>&gt;sincerity, his clear thinking, his good humour =
and his=20
honesty. He was, in<BR>&gt;my humble opinion, a very good man in every =
sense of=20
the word.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; During our conversation he told me of =
his work=20
in the past under<BR>&gt;different totalitarian regimes, all of which in =
their=20
day were very<BR>&gt;repressive. However, when he said that none of =
them, even=20
Stalinist Russia,<BR>&gt;had treated him with the repression that he has =

received in this country<BR>&gt;over recent months it made me realise =
that we=20
have much to be ashamed of.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; It would appear for =
instance=20
that no scientist is allowed to disclose any<BR>&gt;discovery without it =
being=20
passed by those in authority above. In other<BR>&gt;words truth is no =
longer=20
acceptable if it goes against the ideas or ideals<BR>&gt;of those in =
power This=20
is surely a disgrace to our nation as is the gagging<BR>&gt;order which =
Dr Arpad=20
Pusztai is still under.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; Our Prime Minister has =
stated that=20
the best way forward in the debate on<BR>&gt;GM food is on the basis of=20
scientific evidence, then surely Dr Arpad<BR>&gt;Pusztai's evidence of =
the harm=20
done to rats when fed on GM potatoes should<BR>&gt;be evidence enough =
that=20
everyone should proceed with more caution before<BR>&gt;any of this food =

appears, if at all, in our diets.<BR>&gt;<BR></DIV>
</BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01BE6047.64CDB560--