Reply to Whiting, archive 774

Whiting wrote:

... The public controversy seems to center on
>whether prosperous Westerners can safely feed themselves and
>their offspring on gene foods, rather than on the nightmare
>scenario, already underway, in which Indian farmers are being
>forced into suicide, and those who are dependant on them into
>starvation, by lowered yields and burgeoning expenses.

Indian farmers have been brought to their knees by many factors, including
resistance to chemical insecticides.  It is one of Monsanto's products, Bt
cotton, that has a chance to help them. And that is why they want it.

>Monsanto consists of chemists, not food producers.

 Monsanto now has more biologists and plant breeders. I hate being pushed
into a position of defending Monsanto, but diatribes like yours give me no
choice.

Rick