Re: Monsanto, archive 751

<excerpt>Can anyone tell me if Monsanto were ever involved in any of
the following products:

saccharin

DDT

Thalidomide

Clive Elwell

</excerpt>

Can anyone tell me if any of Clive Elwell's ancestors, friends, or
relatives have ever been involved in any questionable activities?

Absurd question?  As John Whiting noted (archive 758), saccharin and
other now questionable Monsanto products pre-dated WWII.  DDT (not
produced by Monsanto so far as I know) was developed about the same
time, and was effectively banned in the US more than 25 years ago.

We have forgiven the German and Japanese people their sins of 50 years
ago. Will you continue to punish Monsanto for its past errors?

Clive, whatever happened in the past, the people who run these
companies now are not the same individuals in charge more than 25 years
ago.  More specifically, the people who do the plant genetic
engineering that interests me have been with the company for only about
15 years.  I am conscious of the concerns that that Robert Cohen and
others have about growth hormones, and add that the plant people have
nothing to do with that either.

Do you always persecute sons and daughters for the errors of their
fathers?

I for one don't care about what your relatives or friends have done.
And I don't care about Monsanto's distant past.

Rick