Re: Aspartame

Rick Roush wrote:

Loath as I am to even appear to contradict Robert Cohen on anything (and
personally don't consume aspartame because I think it tastes awful),
there
was a report by Christine Gorman in Time magazine ("A Web of Deceit", on
8
February, at least in Australia) that argued that the email campaign
against aspartame was wrong.  I'd be curious in a response to that.

Dear Rick,

Thanks for the kind words.  :>)

The INTERNET clearly levels the playing field.  Be it any issue, THEY
have hundreds of millions of dollars to advertise and WE have zilch.
tYHE internet AND email CAMPAIGNE level the playing field...THEY have a
WEBSITE and WE have a website.  In my case, the "THEY" is the dairy
industry.

THEY: http://www.gotmilk.com
WE:   http://www.notmilk.com

In the ASPARTAME/NUTRASWEET issue:

THEY: http://www.aspartame.com
WE:   http://www.dorway.com

The original "letter sent 'round the world" appeared on "dorway."
Somebody from Canada snipped and clipped and pasted together that letter
and sent it to hundreds of newsgroups.

There were some inaccuricies (such as the intro which represented that
the MS foundation had a lawsuit against FDA).  In my opinion, the body
of the letter contains more fact than fiction and the facts are serious
enough to warrant an investigation.  The ASPARTAME controversy
illustrates a system that does not work.
This is not an arena (in my opinion) to discuss this issue because it
does not involve genetically engineered foods.  However, it comes down
to the same premise which brings us all here:

A system of fair and impartial scientific review has been compromised.

Regards,

Robert Cohen