From: [concerned_citizen@youraddress]

To: <agsec@usda.gov>

CC: <admars@ars.usda.gov>,
<bob.smith@mail.house.gov>,
<senator_lugar@lugar.senate.gov>,
<rafi@rafi.org>,
<concerned_citizen@youraddress>

Subject: [your message title here]

September 29,  1998

The Honorable Dan Glickman
Secretary of Agriculture
200-A Whitten Bldg.
1400 Independence Ave., SW
Washington  DC  20250

FROM:

Concerned Citizen
(mailto:concerned_citizen@youraddress)
Your Affiliation
Your City and Region
Country

Dear Secretary Glickman,

I am writing to ask that the USDA immediately cease
negotiations to license the Terminator technology to a Monsanto
subsidiary (Delta and Pine Land Co.).  I also urge the USDA to abandon
its worldwide patent applications on this immoral and dangerous
technology.

The Terminator technology (US patent #5,723,765) is
a genetic technology that renders farm-saved seed sterile. This
technology has no agronomic benefit and should never see the
commercial light of day.   The Terminator violates Farmers' Rights
and threatens agricultural biodiversity.  The Terminator isn't about
improving agriculture, it is about sterilizing seeds, wresting control of seeds
and plant breeding from farmers, and fattening Monsanto's profits.
According to Delta and Pine Land, Monsanto stands to make as much as US
$1.5 billion per year using the Terminator to force farmers to return to
the commercial seed market every year.  This is not progress, it
is a threat to global food security and an egregious use of public
research money.

As a public agency dedicated to promoting agriculture, USDA should be
taking steps to safeguard the rights of farmers to save seed, not
designing technologies to eliminate those rights.  In light of the
alarming rate of consolidation in the seed industry, I urge USDA to
launch a public inquiry into the impacts of seed industry
consolidation on farmers and food security.

The Terminator is an anti-farmer, anti-biodiversity technology - paid
for by public money - and in large part aimed, according to USDA and
Delta and Pine Land, at farmers in developing countries.  USDA and
Monsanto have indicated in Patent Cooperation Treaty documents that
they intend to pursue patents on the Terminator in at least 87 countries.
National applications are moving forward - or have issued - in Australia,
Brazil, Canada, Japan, South Africa, most European countries, and
probably more jurisdictions.

Scientists warn that, under certain conditions, the trait for seed
sterility will flow, via pollen, from Terminator crops to surrounding
plants, making the seeds of neighboring plants sterile. Given the
profound risks to food security and the environment, especially in the
biodiversity-rich South,  the Terminator patent embodies the kind of
threat to public morality described in Article 27(2) of the WTO TRIPs
agreement.

The Terminator technology is a dead-end for farmers and a threat to
food security worldwide.  It is morally unacceptable, and it must be
banned. I respectfully urge you to stop the Terminator technology and
cease negotiations for its commercial development.

USDA should work for farmers - not Monsanto.

Your Name

--
      http://www.greenbuilder.com
           modem:  512.288.3903