Re: Chefs warned on genetic foods

A such measure can indeed appear as an expression of the rigor. It is
necessary
to suit with Friends of the Earth that its placement in application
especially
to  small
enterprises as restorers, risk to raise more difficulties that to bring
the
real benefits. Without counting that this disposition risks to make
Restorers
rather partisan of GMO. It is necessary rather to make these
professionals of
the feeding  allies in the struggle  against the
GMO in order that they request the separated path installation or a
moratorium
on the
GMO.
Sorry for my poor english.

MichaelP a écrit :

> New rules on the menu for restaurant labelling
> By Nick Hopkins
> Guardian (London) Monday February 1, 1999
>
> Restaurants will soon have to start labelling meals which contain
certain
> kinds of genetically modified food, it was disclosed yesterday.
>
> The Agriculture Minister, Nick Brown, said the scheme, which could be
> implemented within weeks, was important because it defended the
consumer's
> right not to eat such produce.
>
> The department has indicated that the new regulations will apply "from
the
> Savoy Grill to the chip van on the A34".
>
> Mr Brown has been considering ways of enforcing a European Union
directive
> passed last September which called on caterers and food suppliers to
tell
> customers which of their foods contained GM soya and maize.
>
> The directive was largely ignored in the UK because it was
> self-regulating.
>
> Last week, Worcestershire Trading Standards Services published a
survey
> showing that, of 200 items sampled at random, one third contained GM
soya
> or maize. But only one of the foods carried a warning label.
>
> Now the Government is poised to introduce penalties for companies
which
> refuse to label properly.
>
> Food suppliers and restaurateurs have been warned that new laws could
be
> passed "within weeks rather than months" and that menus may have to be

> changed accordingly.
>
> Mr Brown said during an interview on ITV's Jonathan Dimbleby
programme:
> "There are regulations under consideration now and labelling has a
very
> important part to play in that.
>
> "There is a European Union directive under consideration and we are
> currently framing it so that it works in United Kingdom law."
>
> The department added: "We have been consulting caterers and other
> organisations for many weeks over the best way to introduce the
scheme.

> "There are practical difficulties... some restaurants change their
menus
> from day to day, and we don't want to put them to too much trouble.
But

--

Au carrefour de mes passions :