1)RE :HIV Vector Use from NY Times 2)New Scientist

Hi,

In the post of Epstein quoting an article of the NY Times, it is written :
>disabled viruses can recombine with genetic material
>from other viruses or from the person's own cells to regain the
>ability to replicate
I already read things like that. What do answer proponents of GMO to
the argument that the viruses used in their technic
to insert genes could also recombine to get active again ?

And, of course, What if before reactivating, the virus incorporates
an other gene that (let me make a nightmare) could be inactivated
in the genome of the person ? (I 've been said there were 90% of the genome
which seems not to have any function, excpet, maybe, to check replication).

All the same about the gene of resistance to antibiotics ?

Where can we have information on how inactivation works, why it can
reactivated. By and large ; what is the physics of genes. Could be in a FAQ ?

Different point :
I found in the new scientist that : (31 oct 1998 pp. 39-40)
<<Monsanto, for example, tests engineered crops in plots the size of
tennis courts before growing them commercially in fields that stretch
beyond horizon.

Sweet [Jeremy, from the National Institute of agricultural Botany in
Cambridge] is frequently asked by the british governement to verify
the risk assessments made by biotech companies. "We look at what
happens when transgenic crops are grown on the commercial scale", he
says.

And things change. For example, on small plots of oilseed rape,
measuring about 20 metres by 20 metres, pollen seldom travels more
than 3 metres. On fields of a more commercial scale, up to 50
hectares, that figure rises to about 2 kilometres. "Once we start
growing transgenic oilseed rape in the UK on a big scale, it will
be everywhere" says Sweet.>>

There are other arguments against GMO (though the newspaper is
clearly favorable) in the same issue.
HLM